Giving formula for first time to a 14 week old- advice pls

(5 Posts)
Wishfulmakeupping Sat 19-Mar-16 07:07:48

Only ever bf dd and now ds but I have the most terrible d and v bug think ill might need someone to give him a bottle.
I know I can still feed while ill but I'm really dizzy too now if I get any worse not sure ill be capable of doing it.
What formula can ds have at 14 weeks if he's never drank it before- and how much and how often ?
Thanks

confusedandemployed Sat 19-Mar-16 07:17:20

He can have any brand. Apparently Aptamil is meant to be "most like breastmilk". DD certainly liked it.

At 14 weeks make up a 6oz bottle and see how he goes. If he drains the bottle, make 7oz next time. The aim is to have a little bit left so you know they've eaten their fill. At 14 weeks DD was going about 3 hours between feeds but really, it's just like bf - if he tells you he's hungry then feed him.

If he's ebf though you may find he won't take a bottle. I hope you're better soon, and you don't need to interrupt your feeding plan flowers

DonkeyOaty Sat 19-Mar-16 07:19:09

I would use a bottle of the premade stuff, stage 1, follow instructions on the side wrt prep and how to keep safely once opened. Whatever's most convenient to buy.

So sorry you're ill.

Nan0second Sat 19-Mar-16 07:24:00

Aptimil not most like breast milk. They just have a bigger marketing budget. Buy a couple of ready made cartons. 3-4oz is usual start for a breast fed baby. Get someone else to give it whilst you're not in the room...

misdee Sat 19-Mar-16 08:10:54

Formula is much of a muchness. Aptimil is not the closest to breastmilk, just clever marketing (btw that tag line used to be on SMA tins 16 years ago)

I would get a couple of small cartons/bottles of premade formula and see how you go. About 4 ounces and see how he goes.

Hope you feel better soon

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now