Expressing before first feed?

(7 Posts)
Persephone76 Fri 18-Mar-16 14:53:20

I'm trying to express c. 2 bottles for an afternoon in about a month's time where I'll be leaving my now 3 month old with her Dad for a few hours. I've got to do it in advance and freeze the milk as I get such small amounts normally!

I have been expressing in the evening and it takes about 45 mins to get c. 30ml/1oz. Today I tried expressing first thing in the morning before my baby fed (sleeping from 12ish - 8am now) and I got 50ml in 10 minutes! Is it a problem to express before she feeds like this? Will she get enough from me if I've just removed 50ml?

thenewaveragebear1983 Fri 18-Mar-16 14:56:07

I would think so, your breast milk doesn't fill up and empty like a jug, its a constant flow. I was advised to express before morning feed and at other times to increase supply but I never actually did it so I don't know if that would work.

figginz Fri 18-Mar-16 14:57:38

I was always told it's a river not a lake. So go for it! And have a great time solo.

Junosmum Fri 18-Mar-16 15:15:15

Mornings are best, in the evening your supply reduces and then picks up again between around 4 and 8am. I often express whilst DS is on the other boob at his 9am feed and get loads.

Junosmum Fri 18-Mar-16 15:15:38

And ds really doesn't seem bothered!

Persephone76 Fri 18-Mar-16 20:25:48

Ah that's great to hear! Thanks all, it'll be much quicker and easier to get my 2x 210ml bottles this way!

dgcoco5 Fri 18-Mar-16 22:25:34

I express one boob in the morning after DD had her feed on other boob and usually manage to express 5-6Oz. Like you my DD sleeps from 11ish to 8am so just about enough milk supply!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now