Help please: 17 m/o refusing breast out of blue

(7 Posts)
squizita Wed 16-Mar-16 13:28:02

My 17 month old DD was EBF until solids, and has been BF alongside solids and milk/toddler milk in a beaker/bottle since.
She mainly BFs in the evening as part of her bedtime routine now, only in the day if she's poorly. If she's thirsty at night too - though if DH goes it's expressed milk, water or formula in a lansinoh bottle. As I've mentioned before she's so established this has never caused an issue ever before.

However Monday and Tuesday night, after wash/Pjs etc she suddenly started saying "Nonononono!!" And pushing away my breast. Really furious.
So I thought she wasn't thirsty and went straight to rocking/cuddles/cot.
But she was thirsty - in the end I had to give her some beaker/bottle milk!! sad THEN she became drowsy and suckled for maybe 5 min. Then I popped her into her cot.
When she woke in the night again the offer of breast was 'nonononono!' - once she wasn't thirsty but another time she wanted some milk. She seemed to want to stay in the cot, maybe that was it? Comfy but thirsty- sore throat?

We both have colds - last week I had full on flu so my DH did a couple of nights, though she had breast at bedtime every night.

I'm worried and concerned for 2 main reasons:
-I know bottles at night are worse for teeth than boob. I was planning to wean her onto water only at night once she was done with boob - I don't want her to start bottle every night now!
-I'm worried about supply if she's not really weaning.

I must admit I also have the voices of sanctimummies suggesting I've not tried hard enough so am failing to reach 2 years breastfeeding in the back of my mind too. sad And I'm going to 'fail' because I let her drink cow's milk and have water for thirst... I work so she has to have other drink sources.

Any advice?

squizita Wed 16-Mar-16 18:31:57

Bump! Anyone..?

Out2pasture Wed 16-Mar-16 18:38:47

Any possibility your expecting?

mamamermaid Wed 16-Mar-16 18:54:33

Teething maybe? Your supply will be fine after 17m of feeding so don't worry about that X

SerenityReynolds Wed 16-Mar-16 18:59:53

Could she be self-weaning? I don't know too much about it but might be worth looking into.

AliceThrewTheFookingGlass Wed 16-Mar-16 19:14:59

It sounds like she could be self weaning. Perhaps she quite liked the nights you DP took over? In your shoes I would just let her lead the way if I'm honest. I would still offer the breast over the coming week or so but I wouldn't insist after a 'nononono' from the child.

Don't you dare feel like you're a failure! If you can feed until 2years then that's great, if you can only feed for 17 or even just 1 month then that's great too.

I breastfed my eldest until he was 18 months. I weaned him because I fell pregnant and my nipples were on fire but honestly I was pretty fed up with it anyway. He's now 2 and has cows milk to go to bed with each night.

Have I failed? Hell no! and neither have you.

squizita Wed 16-Mar-16 19:41:07

Thanks everyone.

Well tonight she had a feed no problems. She NONONOed some other parts of bedtime routine! It seems she grows suspicious of mum and dad's magic night time powers..!

I have chatted with DH though and he pointed out if she decides she'd rather have a beaker of cow juice that's about as gentle as weaning gets! So I am going to offer but if she isn't keen for a week or whatever I'll let it lie.

Alice thanks. grin She mostly eats big girl food now and is a huggy thing, so rationally I know whatever happens she will be getting food and bonding and that's what matters. Life of Riley, that's her! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now