couple of questions about expressing

(8 Posts)
mayaknew Sun 13-Mar-16 14:34:47

I feel like I'm stalking this board these days blush

Anyway I've just started expressing. Dd is 4 weeks old and feeds every 2-3 hours.

When I express I'm only getting 60ml if I use one breast or 90ml if I use both.

This is definitely less than she's been getting because I've tried her with it and I've ended up having to put her on when she's finishes as she's clearly still hungry.

How can I express more?

Also if I take a bottle of expressed milk out the fridge to take out with me how long out the fridge will it stay fresh?

Questionsagaintoday Sun 13-Mar-16 19:07:09

Not everyone can get out a lot with a punk - the amount you express doesn't reflect the amount your baby extracts

Have you got a good electric double pump? Or even an electric single that's rally good? Medella gets the vote it seems

Mornings seem to work the best for ending able to get the most for many people. Including me. At that age my son was cluster feeling too much in the evenings for me to be a me to express really

Once refrigerated you should treat it like you'd treat any fresh refrigerated milk. If freshly expressed it can be okay at room temp upto 6 hours.

Questionsagaintoday Sun 13-Mar-16 19:07:34

Pump. Not punk.

mayaknew Sun 13-Mar-16 21:20:53

I have an electric but it's only a single.

Another thing I wanted to know was can mix milk that has been expressed at two different times? Like if I have 2 3oz bottles stored can I mix them to make one 6oz bottle?

zenB Sun 13-Mar-16 21:59:59

I'm not breastfeeding anymore but when I did I mixed stored feeds. My midwife said it was fine to do so. And also that I could store breast milk in and out of the fridge for longer than formula. I used a medela electric pump but often found I could express more by hand (was just quite time consuming). Do you sit next to your baby when you're expressing? This apparently helps stimulate the flow - and I found it worked, even looking at a photo or video of my baby if he was in a different room seemed to help.

Casmama Sun 13-Mar-16 22:03:33

I read somewhere that porridge oats boost supply and really found it to work. Agree with above about morning being best to pump and if you don't like porridge you could try mixing the oats with yogurt and frozen berries then leaving in the fridge overnight to eat in the morning.

mayaknew Mon 14-Mar-16 09:36:11

I've heard fennel tea is also good for supply . I gave porridge and I'll get the fennel tea today see if that helps.

mrsjskelton Sat 19-Mar-16 20:46:43

You're doing exceptionally well to express that much with baby so young!

It's fine to store mixed milks but be mindful that whichever way it's stored, it's only good to use from the date of the oldest milk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now