Thinking about buying Donor milk for 10 mth old - anyone done this?

(13 Posts)
Maki79 Tue 08-Mar-16 19:53:22

I go back to work soon and I have a couple of events coming up that my dd can't attend. My ds at 12 months went straight from breastmilk to cows milk and he became very ill for about a year with toddler diarrhea and we basically had to have a very restrictive diet for him from that point on.

I'm loathed to start my dd on cows milk as a consequence, as is the childminder and so I've been preparing myself for pumping. Except I hate it sad

It fills me with dread every time I get the machine out, I feel sub-human somehow and I'm so bloody busy (3 kids, strssfull job, long commute). I will have to spend every free moment pumping.

So, I wondered about buying breastmilk. There's a website but it looks a bit dodgy to me. Has anyone sucessfully done this? Ideally I'd like to find somebody locally and pay for their screening etc. Is this even legal??

Thanks for any advice!

BatMobile Tue 08-Mar-16 20:00:21

There's something called Human Milk for Human Babies on Facebook. Links up donors with potential recipients. I've never used it myself, but may be worth investigating. Good luck smile

ingenvillvetavardukoptdintroja Tue 08-Mar-16 20:00:52

I would check out free milk sharing too. There is a group on Facebook called Human milk 4 human babies that I have used to donate an unwanted freezer stash before. You can post a request for milk in your area and state what your preferences are 're screening.
I am back at work now spending about 8 hours away from my (still frequently feeding!) 11 months old and he's doing fine with water and topping up in evenings with me if that's any reassurance? Although you sound busy so may not be an option!

ProfGrammaticus Tue 08-Mar-16 20:04:05

Is there no formula milk that would be suitable then?

FishWithABicycle Tue 08-Mar-16 20:04:37

For me, once I had started giving a wide variety of solid foods as well as milk, sticking to breastmilk only didn't seem as important as it did when my baby was having nothing but milk. I was therefore happy to start giving formula from 9 months when I went back to work (I still did BF when I could for a bit but not for long).

I'm not at all sure it is legal in any case. There are charities who will collect donated breastmilk for tiny babies in hospital who need it most. However, making it a commercial thing reduces another poor woman to the effective status of dairy cattle which seems kind of unethical.

KP86 Tue 08-Mar-16 20:11:40

Use HM4HB - I donated more than 120L of breast milk during my son's first year.

Don't buy milk, don't know the rules here but certainly in Australia it's illegal to buy body products, which includes breast milk.

Also, not saying it's going to happen, but there have been stories of women watering down milk if they are selling it to get more money.

Some general rules of thumb: look for donors who are still feeding their own babies, or were feeding at the time of pumping; ask whether they have any health concerns that you should know about - some donors asked to see my test results; ask about smoking and alcohol, as well as how the milk is stored; try to find someone local to you and see if you can have a regular donor/recipient relationship. I had two ladies who I helped out on opposite weeks.

It's polite to provide milk storage bags to the donor mums, you will find them cheaply on eBay, or maybe Amazon.

Good luck. Human Milk 4 Human Babies is a fabulous idea and I highly recommend it.

Maki79 Tue 08-Mar-16 20:17:44

Wow, thankyou for the super quick replies! I will check out the Human Milk for human babies, sounds just what I'm looking for! Thankyou!

I'm not aganst formula at all, and my back up would be a lactose free one if I can get it.

Also good to know that food/water and morning and evening feeds might work...but at the moment she's feeding every 3 hours still!

redspottydress Tue 08-Mar-16 20:22:18

My dd only had water in the day from 10 months for the 2 days she was in childcare. She made up for it at night but we co-slept so was not a huge problem.

bigmamapeach Wed 09-Mar-16 08:30:03

You might want to read www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/mar/24/buying-human-breast-milk-online-health-risk

As scientific studies have shown breast milk bought online to be often contaminated with bugs or diluted or even just formula. You would need to make sure you are sourcing breast milk that is screened and pasteurised. There is a U.K. Association of milk banking you may want to check out. Just be sure there are proper procedures in place if you do go this route. No idea what the human milk for human babies do re safeguarding.

bigmamapeach Wed 09-Mar-16 08:31:39

www.ukamb.org

NickyEds Wed 09-Mar-16 09:02:49

I'm not sure lactose free f would be necessary, breast milk contains lactose so if your baby had a problem with lactose she would also have a problem with bm. If your only reluctance comes from your experience with your ds it might be worth giving your dd a try on regular f, she might be fine! My dd is 8 months next week and since weaning has reduced her daytime milk to almost nothing, one tiny bf and she didn't even have that yesterday. Your dd might be fine with no milk whilst you're at work anyway.

KP86 Wed 09-Mar-16 10:27:33

HM4HB is like an agent, they are there to be a meeting point for donors and recipients. No money is exchanged.

They provide advice for both sides on how to make the transaction safe, but ultimately, it is up to the donor and recipient to do their own research and decide what they are comfortable with. There are ways you can treat the donor milk like flash heating pasteurisation, but I don't think many people bother. If you are lucky enough to find a regular donor/recipient, it is a special bond.

At the end of the day, we are all mums wanting the best for their children. I can't imagine anyone who goes to the trouble of pumping for a few hours per day would then purposely try to make another person's baby sick, but as we know, it takes all kinds.

Cuttheraisins Wed 09-Mar-16 10:44:58

If you work and have long commutes, presumably you feed your 10 months old morning and evenings, so what, three times a day? At that age, if baby is eating a variety of food, it is not necessary to have milk every day and it might just be a safer thing to do to just skip milk for a couple of days. If this was my situation I would just give formula for a few days, no need for full bottles just in a beaker, and more water than usual. The risks in my opinion are too high. And I'd do without the trouble. You will spend an awful lot of time researching it and organising it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now