Breast fed baby falls asleep at breast, continues to suckle

(8 Posts)
xyogafix Tue 08-Mar-16 15:10:47

Hello, hoping that someone can help me out with the above.

My LO (11 weeks) has been gaining weight well and producing wet nappies. However, lately she has been latching on and feeding for a couple of minutes and then falling asleep. However, when she is asleep she continues to suckle. Is she feeding or is it more for comfort? She can remain in this state for a long time, an hour or so, and I'm reluctant to stop her but it's happening more and more frequently and I'm being held hostage on the couch! I don't mind if she is feeding, but would rather be sure.

Cheers,
Fi smile

thenewaveragebear1983 Tue 08-Mar-16 15:14:08

Does she continually suckle, or does she do a few quick sucks when you move? If it's conmtiunal then she's probably still feeding. If its just a few sucks when you move then she's probably asleep, lightly, and when the nipple moves she tries to hold on to it. Babies do this with bottles too, and dummies. They can still suck in their sleep but won't do it continuously.

thenewaveragebear1983 Tue 08-Mar-16 15:15:00

Sorry, that should say continual
Trying to type one handed!

Gisla Tue 08-Mar-16 15:15:23

Sometimes she will be feeding, sometimes it will be for comfort, either way it's good for your supply and her wellbeing so I would just enjoy it. There is no such thing as "just" for comfort, the comfort is as important as the food.

Plus, soon she will be feeding standing on her head (or your head, anything goes with a toddler) and you will miss these days. wink

TeaBelle Tue 08-Mar-16 15:17:27

Dd did this. Up to 4 months old she would.only nap on me. I went with it though and she grew out of it relatively soon. If you really feel that you can't deal with it then there is a book called the no cry sleep solution which has a chapter dealing with this - basically you take the boob out of baby's mouth as soon as they are asleep. If they fuss then you leave them a few seconds then replace boob in mouth. Repeat (ad infinitum ) but take ever so.slightly longer to pop boob back in each time

iyamehooru Tue 08-Mar-16 15:18:03

I used to blow on their face when they did this and if the suckle increased they're feeding. If not they're comforting.

Diggum Tue 08-Mar-16 15:19:58

It's probably for comfort but I always thought it was very cute too. You could probably try unlatching and see if she stays asleep, but I loved the excuse to stay glued to the couch and get muchos baby cuddlesgrin.

xyogafix Tue 08-Mar-16 15:30:37

Thanks ladies, much appreciated.
Suckling is sporadic, frequent though - not only when I move. I blow on her and stroke her cheek, and she continues to suckle.
She doesn't sleep well so I try to capitalise on her snoozing by unlatching her and lying her in her bed. But she's fly to me doing this and wakens almost instantly. Cheeky monkey! I worry that almost the only way that she is falling asleep at the moment and I really want to make the most of her snoozing, so I stay still. But it's ok, that's what maternity leave is for - the dishes can wait grin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now