Upper lip tie?

(7 Posts)
Underbella Sun 06-Mar-16 14:38:31

I've a 4 week old who has been slow to gain weight. You might have read my other threads!

She's not been weighed for awhile so I'm not sure how the weight gain is going.

I've had a couple of intense days where it seems she's never off the boob so I started to Google things like why doesn't my babies lip flip out when feeding.....

She purses the top and bottom lip. Which led me you discover lip ties.

It looks like she might have an upper lip tie. Anyone else had this?

I know it's normal for newborns to feed a lot but when you throw the slow weight gain into the mix you have to wonder.....

Sigh......

Junosmum Sun 06-Mar-16 15:11:09

Yep, DS has upper lip tie. His weight gain was slow, he sucks air in and dribbles milk, and purses his lips. I've found running my finger under his top lip to flange it out help him feed and reduces pain for me. They won't cut it on nhs. He's now 9 weeks and has gone from 9th centile to 38th and I don't think about it anymore.

Underbella Sun 06-Mar-16 18:18:05

Hi juno, what about his bottom lip? Is that pursed too? I've not mastered flipping the lips out yet.

Or is this just the way we are destined to feed?

Junosmum Mon 07-Mar-16 17:18:37

My DS also purses his bottom lip too, most of the time, he does occasionally get it to go out. I've found as I've been flipping out his top lip has helped him to learn to latch better, I can't get the bottom lip to do it though. I think you'll have to learn to feed like that or get it dealt with privately.

To flip the top lip try pressing on your DD nose at the septum and lifting slightly, it doesn't hurt- try it on yourself.

happytocomply Mon 07-Mar-16 20:56:36

My DS has an upper lip tie. Both top and bottom lip are pursed when he feeds and he has a lazy latch. Weight gain has been fine, he's dropped a percentile but was on the 50th when last weighed and is happy and meeting milestones. Still breastfeeding fine at 10 months. Think I tried flipping his top lip in the early days but I couldn't manage it and we've managed well as we were.

magpie17 Mon 07-Mar-16 21:05:08

My DS has an upper lip tie. He also had a tongue tie which was cut on the NHS but they said that their 'policy' did not allow for any intervention with upper lip tie.

DS never latched anyway (total boob refusal) but managed fine with bottles although Dr Brown teats seemed easier for him. He was a very messy milk drinker though and still if quite dribbly.

HumphreyCobblers Mon 07-Mar-16 21:09:44

I had my ds's upper lip tie and posterior tongue tie lasered by a paediatric dentist at five months. He gained weight ok but I found it painful. It all improved after it was treated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now