Breastfeeding with inverted nipples

(5 Posts)
Beeeeckyy Sun 06-Mar-16 10:05:55

So I have had inverted nipples my whole life. They are not able to come out, ever.. I've been told I can still breastfeed as it is just that BREASTfeeding.. But I have also been told it will be more difficult. All latching on techniques I have heard of or read about all seem to be using the nipple, how is it that you are able to get a baby to latch on...

Has anyone successfully breastfed with inverted nipples? Or even anyone who has tried and failed. Any advice or experience would be very appreciated.

parrotonmyshoulder Sun 06-Mar-16 10:14:37

I breastfed both dc for about 2 years each with completely inverted nipples.

Dc1 was very difficult at first. It took five weeks of constant expressing and bottle feeding before she was able to latch on successfully. I had loads of help from a breastfeeding clinic and was very determined. She still only ever fed directly from one breast (could never use the left) and I expressed from the left.

DS was able to latch on to both breasts. Probably due to me knowing what I was doing!

runnerbean2 Sun 06-Mar-16 10:15:01

Hi- congratulations on your baby!

I have one partially inverted and one standard issue nipple. When my baby was very small (first 10 weeks or so) she tended to slide down the "normal" one and pinch the nipple, which got quite painful. With the inverted one she either had to latch on properly or not at all, so it was much more comfortable and helped get me through the hard bit of breastfeeding. It's going like a dream now.

we're all different of course but I hope you find a technique that works for you and your baby, and that you also find some unexpected benefits to your own set-up!

LordTurner Sun 06-Mar-16 11:53:14

Not inverted but one flat nipple. I've been feeding with nipple shields since about ten days old and it's the only thing that has kept us going. Before I used them my flat nipple was being destroyed - awful pain, a huge crack and loads of blood. It was horrid. If I have another baby in the future I'll use them from the start, at least on that side.

I have Medela ones and Boots ones, both are OK but the medela probably a bit better. It is a pain washing and sterilising them but it does allow me to feed DS.

You also get something called 'latch assist' made by Lansinoh which is essentially a little suction device to pull the nipple out. I haven't used one but am tempted for the transition off shields at some point. You can achieve a fairly similar result by beginning a feed by pumping to pull the nipple out a bit. It's not really a practical long term solution though.

Good luck! Get any help you can from midwives and lactation consultants in your area.

Writerwannabe83 Mon 07-Mar-16 08:54:51

I have seen nipple shields work fantastically for women with inverted nipples.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now