Any advice on part time bfing, going back to work etc?

(5 Posts)
FifiFerusha Mon 29-Feb-16 13:15:06

Hi,

I will be going back to work in June but only for two days a week. My DS (7.5mo) will be 11 months by then. He still feeds every three hours in the day although he is on three good meals a day. He mostly feeds to calm himself down before a nap( won't sleep on boob though). He also gets a bottle before bedtime so have no issues with that. Is it possible for me to feed in the day for five days and only morning and after work for two and for him to have a bottle on those days. I don't want to express at work( am lucky if I get any any by expressing anyway) as there wouldn't be time.

So, is it time to start weaning (sad) or does this sound manageable? Will my boobs just not be able to do that smile I imagine by 11 months he may only need three or four feeds a day anyway. Any advice much appreciated

X

Nicknamegrief Mon 29-Feb-16 13:25:34

At that age that sounds like it could work, 2 of my 4 children only had 2/3 bf feeds in a 24 hr period by that time. Morning, bedtime and after a nap- which if I wasn't around and they were distracted they happily missed.
You may find that you get some engorgement/discomfort on the days you work especially if the days run concurrently but it should be fine.

Racheyg Mon 29-Feb-16 22:02:34

Hi Op,
Im starting back in 2 weeks but ds2 (9 months) starts nursery tomorrow. He will be attending 3 days a week and I am hoping to bf the days im not at work and in the morning and evening when working. I will let you know how I get on.

MrsMogginsMinge Mon 29-Feb-16 22:20:47

At 11 months that will almost certainly be fine, especially if your DS is enjoying his food so far. If it helps, once my DS was on 3 squareish meals and 2 naps we moved to a slightly more structured rhythm which effectively meant going from feeds every 3ish hours to 4 x 4-hourly feeds during the day (I.e. morning feed, breakfast, nap; mid morning feed, lunch, nap; afternoon feed, dinner; bedtime feed). Then the mid morning feed naturally dwindled at about 9/10 months so we were down to 3 most days. When I started part time work at 11 months he just had a breast feed morning and night on work days. I sent a bottle of formula in with him to nursery to be offered in afternoon but he wasn't that interested in it. Just had a bigger feed at night. A lot can change in a few months!

Racheyg Mon 21-Mar-16 18:44:48

Hi op how are u getting on?

I'm two weeks in to only bf they days I'm not at work and at night and my supply is fine as ds2 is happy

Hope all goes well

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now