Introducing cows milk early?

(7 Posts)
monkey2014 Mon 22-Feb-16 21:30:26

Hi all
After all the faff expressing, my baby is not interested at all. Warm, cold, various types of cup, time of day...not having it. He's over ten months and does usually eat well and drinks water from a cup. Should we/ can we give him cows milk as a drink? It's only when I'm at work, two days per week, bf the rest of the time.

museumum Mon 22-Feb-16 21:31:53

Yes you can give them it it just shouldn't be "their main drink". Some nurseries don't like to though - so depends who has your child while you work.

monkey2014 Mon 22-Feb-16 22:13:09

Great thank you smile

MigGril Mon 22-Feb-16 22:23:36

I would wait, you say he eats well and drinks water. Just make sure he's getting milk in the food be eats on the days he's not with you. It's only two days a week, the concern with giving milk as a drink under one is it has more sodium in it then a baby needs plus less iron. I know it's only two days a week but as it's so little I'd wait.

He can do without the milk entity for such a short time of he's still breastfeeding the test of the time. To much salt is an issue in babies.

monkey2014 Tue 23-Feb-16 21:03:09

Hmm that's interesting. He's not bothered about drinking cows milk either though as it turns out! He does have weetabix, yoghurt and soft cheese...

Junosmum Wed 24-Feb-16 05:46:00

At my local bf support group we were discussing going back to work. The peer support leaders felt expressing was unnecessary faff and that the babies would get all they needed milk -wise outside of nursery and just have food in nursery. I think I'll try that, at least initially.

moggle Wed 24-Feb-16 11:42:48

Surely that advice depends on how old the baby is and how many days they are at nursery? Until 9 months my daughter didn't eat very much in the way of solids and was still having probably 4-5 BFs during a 24hr period. If she'd been in nursery full days, she couldn't have gone without any milk for the whole time and if she was there 5 days a week it could've been a terrible move. At best she would have upped her evening and night feeds to compensate which isn't really what you want when you've just started back at work!
As it is she went to nursery at 10m and had formula for the one feed she wanted during the day as I had stopped pumping some months before and didn't want to go through the hassle of getting my supply up again to get the amount she needed. By that age she was BF morning, evening and sometimes during the night until about a year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now