Windy 12 week old. Tiktok pls help?

(9 Posts)
WalkThePlank0 Mon 22-Feb-16 15:29:54

Tiktok

I've read your advice on this board many times and found it invaluable - thanks for that.

Buy my 12 week old is getting more farty at night as time goes on and not less and it does wake him up too. Sometimes the only time I can settle him is by putting him to sleep on his side with me - which is not safe.

He goes to sleep about 8 or 9 sleeps to about 2am and then doesn't settle after that until he poos at 6ish.

Latch seems ok. Lots of full nappies. Happy weight gain. Any advice?

tiktok Mon 22-Feb-16 17:09:04

Hi - don;t want to read and run but have to go out! I will come back later smile

Need to know your baby's weight and overall development and health.

WalkThePlank0 Mon 22-Feb-16 17:49:00

Water birth. 10 agpar. Bf established really quickly. Went to 75 percentile by circa three weeks. Stayed slightly below that since but I haven't had him weighed for the last three weeks.

About 6 weeks he got a bit of a cold and became snuffy. He hasn't really shaken the snuffly although it does seem better and I'm no longer convinced that it's the cause of the wind. Kept a diary and the wind has been a problem since the early weeks - waking him up at night and stopping him settling.

He feeds on demand which is either one side for circa 20 mins every hourish or two sides with a bit of a rest every 2-3. I do wind him and try to keep him upright a much as I can - although he doesn't seem very burpy. Propping his mattress made no difference.

In the last few weeks I've noticed that the flatulence seems to bother him earlier in the night - after 3am rather than 5ish. A few times he's objected to lying on his back at nap time. I've also noticed him fussing on my nipple. His nappies have always been yellow but recently I've noticed one or two slightly greener nappies and one nappy that was very dark green but it passed... He doesn't posset that much. Sometimes my milk can be a bit enthusiastic but he seems to manage it himself.

tiktok Mon 22-Feb-16 22:56:34

He sounds fine and healthy smile

Do what you need to do to settle him. It's not unsafe to co-sleep as long as you follow the rules. Side lying next to you is ok - more important that you don't smoke/drink or over heat him with covers.

He's gonna wake at night. Not sure how you know it is wind that wakes him or keeps him awake? If he settles snuggled close to you, then how is it wind?

Sorry - not much help!

WalkThePlank0 Tue 23-Feb-16 01:11:06

I think it's wind because of the noise 🤔 And sometimes he begins to cry. So I think he is in pain. If I lie him on his side then he stops writhing around and often finishes what he needs to do.

I was worrying about the SIDS implications of him not being in his back.

It is a reasonable point that snuggling close to me seems to stop it. I place him on the duvet as I am underneath it. And sleep with no pillows.

Thank you for your help, DS2 and I are big fans. X

tiktok Tue 23-Feb-16 09:42:33

Yes, babies have noisy guts smile. Adults do, too. You just don't hear it unless you put your ear to someone's abdomen and actually listen. But it's there - all the gurgling and sloshing about, making noises.

Impossible to say if your baby is waking and crying because of this. My guess would be he's just waking and crying because that's what babies do. They wake, they need attention, and they cry to get it. They are soothed, perhaps fed, and they go back to sleep again.

Does the back to sleep guidance actually include babies who co-sleep? Speaking just as a mother, and not a SIDS expert or anything, it would not strike me as risky for a 12 week old, healthy and thriving, to sleep on his side snuggled in to mum. I will check this and get back to you!

WalkThePlank0 Tue 23-Feb-16 12:43:32

Thank you. He was weighed today and is 14.6 pounds - 75 percentile. I guess that answers the question of whether there is anything wrong with him. But not me as I burst into tests in front of the HV. I had hoped to be getting more sleep at this point. I guess I need to reset my expectations and hang on a bit longer.

tiktok Tue 23-Feb-16 13:15:51

sad sad

It's understandable you're down, with all the worry and lack of sleep.

I guess you burst into 'tears', and not 'tests', which would be a bit odd....smile

I don't think there is any rule against a baby sleeping on his side when co-sleeping, though do your own checking and ask the HV....the 'back to sleep' is about babies in cots. Babies who co-sleep tend to snuggle in and they can't do that on their backs. I can't actually imagine a baby sleeping on his back all night in the parents' bed...and at 12 weeks your baby will move.

www.unicef.org.uk/Documents/Baby_Friendly/Leaflets/caringatnight_web.pdf has this:

"If you decide to share
a bed with your baby:

Keep your baby away from the pillows

Make sure your baby cannot fall out of bed or become
trapped between the mattress and wall

Make sure the bedclothes cannot cover your baby’s face or head

Don’t leave your baby alone in the bed, as even very
young babies can wriggle into a dangerous position

It is not safe to bed-share in the early months if your baby was born
very small or pre-term"

Honestly, doing what you need to do to get more sleep sounds the best way at this stage...hope things get better soon.

WalkThePlank0 Tue 23-Feb-16 13:32:25

Thanks for your help. X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now