Does breastfeeding protect against Men B?

(7 Posts)
Bicnod Sat 20-Feb-16 11:33:21

Does anyone know? I've been googling but can't find anything convincing.

DD is 13 months so won't get Men B vaccine on NHS. Name on shortlist at private clinics but no stock of vaccine until summer.

I'm currently breastfeeding morning and evening only. Was considering stopping altogether (I have 2 other children and am very very tired... I seem to remember I had more energy when stopped feeding the other two) but if there is a protective benefit I would keep going until she's been vaccinated.

Any thoughts?

TIA smile

Also posted in chat for traffic...

cheeseandcrackers Sat 20-Feb-16 11:38:23

I would think you would need to be vaccinated against men b for breastfeeding to offer your dd any protection and I assume you're not. You could get the vaccination done privately if you'reworried

cheeseandcrackers Sat 20-Feb-16 11:40:46

Sorry, missed that you're already on private shortlist. Can't see how breastfeeding would help without Men B antibodies

sugar21 Sat 20-Feb-16 11:45:27

Sorry but no, I breastfed my dd and she caught Men B

SweepTheHalls Sat 20-Feb-16 11:46:51

She only gains antibodies to pathogens that you are immune to, so unless you have had meningitis , then no.

Bicnod Sat 20-Feb-16 15:53:17

Thanks for the responses and sugar I'm so so sorry about your DD flowers

I think I'm clutching at straws as just so frustrated that I can't get hold of the vaccine for her.

sugar21 Sat 20-Feb-16 19:27:22

bicnod thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now