Breastfed 1 week old - vomiting

(6 Posts)
whatsoever Fri 19-Feb-16 22:24:19

DD is ebf & 1 week old today. She is my second DC but very different from her elder DS in terms of feeding. He was slow to learn to bf and an unusually non-sicky baby (I can literally remember all the times he's been sick in 3 years - I could count them all on my fingers) so I can't quite work out what's normal in terms of babies and sick.

DD was keen to bf immediately, to the extent my milk came in in less than 48 hours as she was constantly on the boob. She sicks up after feeds a little bit most of the time which seems so far so normal. However yesterday evening and this evening she's had a full feed and then 5 or 10 minutes later, while upright against me and otherwise showing no discomfort or distress at all has brought up her entire feed with no warning.

A friend has mentioned reflux but I would have expected her to be distressed or appear uncomfortable/in pain if she was experiencing reflux? Is this just on the 'normal' scale?

Any experience gratefully received. I feel like a new mum on this one, rather than a second timer!

dinodiva Fri 19-Feb-16 22:36:30

My DD used to bring up the occasional big feed like that - it was quite alarming to see the amount that came out of her! I think it used to happen because she had a bit of wind stuck. It never bothered her and about half an hour later she'd be feeding again. She outgrew it by 12 weeks-ish if I remember right.

I think it's pretty normal as their digestive system develops, so I'd try not to worry if she seems happy in herself and it's not happening on several consecutive feeds. flowers

KimmySchmidtsSmile Fri 19-Feb-16 22:43:29

Ooh, I was a projectile vomitter, I was very late being born and it was due to something with my intestines <useful emoticon>
If it was each feed, every feed I'd start to worry but it might be acone-off, hope so. What's she like for burping? How often did you wind her during that feed? One of my three did the same one time, impressive it was, when in the past was just the usual posetting and we put it down to guzzling air/high let down/drinking too much too quickly.
Fill her up again and see how she goes. Are you well yourself? cake brew

KimmySchmidtsSmile Fri 19-Feb-16 22:45:06

a one off
Typing too fast.
Cake and tea for extra calories xx
shamrock

AnotherStitchInTime Fri 19-Feb-16 22:54:31

Ds was like this as a newborn, he was 6 weeks prem. I got used to the signs in the end. It was generally when he had overfed. He can still vomit spectacularly aged 2 if he has a big dinner then bedtime breastfeed too soon after. I think he just has a weaker sphincter between his oesophagus and his stomach which when the stomach is overfull allows the contents to come back up again easily. This can also be linked to GERD, which ds doesn't have.

whatsoever Sat 20-Feb-16 00:12:50

Thanks so much all, you've reassured me. She is a guzzler and can do earth shatteringly loud burps post-feed normally. I may be misremembering but I feel like both times this has happened I haven't got much of a burp out of her so could be a combination of over feeding and/or trapped wind.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now