"Emergency"; formula top ups

(8 Posts)
randomsabreuse Fri 19-Feb-16 17:26:39

What's the best way to do it. Complicated situation I do not want to dwell on, 6mo ebf, largely uninterested in weaning - spoons with stuff on evil, lettuce only thing for which I've seen evidence of consumption plus suspected cmpi.

Basically will need grandparents to babysit for unknown periods of time and there's no way I can express enough to feed her on ebm for those periods and gps could do with not being totally deafened.

GP helpfully prescribed appropriate formula, but am feeling utterly clueless. Basically planning to try her with some tomorrow am (in case we get colic/reactions) and check she'll take it. Will use the opportunity to express but she gets way more than any pump ever will!

Formula wasn't planned at all - help much appreciated

Ta

Junosmum Fri 19-Feb-16 19:12:19

Just try her on it, see if she'll take it as is.

If not- try mixing with bm and reducing the amount of bm. Or have a 'trial run' go out just before a feed, leaving DD with partner/ grandparents etc as sometimes they'll take it if you aren't there.

comeagainforbigfudge Fri 19-Feb-16 19:29:13

What is your time frame? Are the grandparents going to start looking after baby soon?

How long have you been weaning for? It took my DD a few weeks before she got the hang of it then started wolfing food down.

But it was a few more weeks again before i could drop any feeds.

Like PP said, you'll just need to try it and see what happens. And if another is giving it then that may help too.

Good luck

Whataboutnodetox Fri 19-Feb-16 19:31:16

Is it nutramigen or neocate? These are both quite tricky to get them to take straight away. Definitely try cutting with ebm and reduce the amount. Baby might take better to a soft spouted cup than a bottle too.

flowers for whatever you are going through.

randomsabreuse Fri 19-Feb-16 19:41:21

Cow and gate pepti junior. GP spoke to peads on phone for advice. Possibly need Tues for 1st time but have alternative plan if it doesn't work. Been trying weaning a couple of weeks but only success with permitted thieving from my plate and that's limited.

Ta.

randomsabreuse Sat 20-Feb-16 18:21:58

How much vomming is usual when introducing formula? She's being grumpy and a bit vommy after 3oz this am but change in diet is likely to cause a bit of vomming I think - certainly upsets dogs! She took 3oz from DH but wouldn't take more than that - then did a long feed off me as super grumpy. Been feeding loads today - growth spurt??

MissSmiley Sat 20-Feb-16 18:30:00

My sympathies for whatever you're going through. I hope your daughter takes to a bottle but there's a chance she won't take much. Ebf babies sometimes don't take to the bottle. I had one that would just wait for me. I tried not feeding her for two days (she had water) but she wouldn't take milk. I also found she was a very fussy weaner and wouldn't take anything off a spoon. At 9 months she helped herself to fish fingers and peas and we never looked back. But she never had milk in a bottle or beaker not matter how much I diluted it to try and get some in - she would just push it away.
Another child went half and half with bottles at 8 months much more sucessfully.
Is there a chance you could just feed her when you return?

randomsabreuse Sat 20-Feb-16 19:30:40

She does take emb from my DH but it takes 2 sessions to get enough to satisfy her for one feed. Struggling to fit in one per day at the moment and that's not likely to improve.

She's just dropped to just above the 9th percentile from on 25th so skipping feeds probably less than ideal. Will continue to bf direct when I'm with her but constant feeds will be a nightmare.

Issue is dh health...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now