Supply v good enough milk

(9 Posts)
Rachel140688 Tue 16-Feb-16 11:16:54

My little mans 7+6
My milk has never seemed enough,
When I persevered just bf he didn't poo for 2 days until I helped then went another 2 days after that.

I've tried cutting the formula n being Ss much n as long as he wanted even sleeping naked to him to have skin to skin, eating lacation cookies/taking fenugreek incase it's an amount problem.

Is there a way I can do what I want to do and end and give my lo enough?
Could it be my diet? Not quite what it needs?

My mil is pushing my towards starting baby rice as she thinks even formula isn't satisfying for long enough and may I state I'm AGAINST that

Help please I feel as tho I'm failing I hate bottle feeding. I get a gooy feeling when I bf

wetsnow Tue 16-Feb-16 11:20:24

Ah bless you.
Definitely no baby rice.
Breastfed babies don't poo often.

Is there a group near you? Check out Kellymom has good tips.

Theodolia Tue 16-Feb-16 11:20:44

Ignore your mil. Why do you feel like your milk isn't enough? Is it do with his poos because they sometimes do go days without doing one.

Rachel140688 Tue 16-Feb-16 11:34:16

He's constantly feeding. I went almost a week without a shower because I couldn't put him down. I wasn't sleeping much cause he was in bed with me. I jo they say not to go by how ur breasts feel but because I gave him a bottle at 8 this morning when I fed him at 10 my hoods felt ready to pop he fed for 5 minutes then acting as tho he couldn't get any.

tiktok Tue 16-Feb-16 12:24:33

Not sure I've got everything properly understood (some weird autocorrects going on here smile ) but nothing you have said in your posts indicates a poor milk supply.

It is within normal for babies - breastfed or formula fed - to have periods when they don't want to be put down. Yes, this can mean having a moment away from them is really difficult. So you can't draw any conclusion from this.

Is your ds gaining weight normally? And developing normally?

Obviously you are 100 per cent correct in avoiding baby rice.

Your MIL is not a good person to get advice from - I wonder if she is undermining you in your choice to breastfeed?

It's not good to judge your breastfeeding by feeling your breasts - overfull breasts does not mean loads more milk anyway.

Have you had a chance to speak to a breastfeeding helpline about it all? There may be ways to make your breastfeeding happier and more comfortable for both of you.

Your diet will make no difference to the quality and quantity of your milk, BTW.

Rachel140688 Tue 16-Feb-16 13:32:41

Sorry about autocorrects I struggled making sense of it too :s
I emailed a place that a found when typing mum2mum but never had a reply.
Weight gain...
The dip is the week I ebf then felt as tho I'd starved him so went back to topping him up.

tiktok Tue 16-Feb-16 16:19:37

Rachel, there are several places to get decent bf help. Try the NCT breastfeeding line 0300 330 0700 . I think it would be useful to speak to someone, and really answer your questions, and help you understand what to expect, what might indicate a problem, and if there is a problem, what to do about it.

The weight chart you show is not really significant at all. Yes, his weight shows a dip - not a loss, but a slight dip below the previous line - around 4-5 weeks, but there's nothing wrong with that at all. Probably all babies have a dip at some stage, and weekly weighing is not very helpful in healthy babies, as these tiny dips tend to look more significant than they are.

Hope you will call.

Rachel140688 Tue 16-Feb-16 19:56:03

His weight...
23/12 born 7lb11
26/12 7lb4
28/12 7lb4
31/12 7lb8
4/1 7lb8
11/1 8lb1
20/1 9lb0.5
27/1 9lb6
2/2 8lb15
9/3 9lb12

The week upto 2/2 I ebf then felt awful like I'd starved him.
Yesterday he had 22oz of formula & fed approx 56 mins over 4 feeds

tiktok Wed 17-Feb-16 09:39:18

Sorry, Rachel. It's hard to read that chart. What chart is this? In pounds and ounces? Are you in the uk? It's not a chart I recognise with such tiny spaces for recording the weight. I would seriously seriously doubt your baby lost seven ounces in a week, and then gained a whopping 13 ounces in the next week.

It's not unusual for poor weighing techniques to worry mothers in this way.

Weighing weekly is far too often - not something ever recommended in the uk, so I do wonder where you are smile

Do get some good, informed help to reassess - what do you think?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now