Lumpy and engorged

(7 Posts)
Latenighttv Fri 12-Feb-16 20:42:04

Hi thanks for any advice in advance

My baby is 2 months old now, I've had problems with engorgement on and off since he was born, I'm still waiting for them to settle down but almost thinking they never will. Anyway I know that when you become engorged you have to try and massage out the lumps to prevent mastitis however I find as soon as my breasts start filling up again after a feed they are always lumpy, someone told me lumps arent normal but I get them every time, anyone else have this please??

Junosmum Sat 13-Feb-16 13:05:48

My breasts are lumpy when full too, just not painful and the lumps go after a feed. I think it's lumps which don't go after feeding and/or are painful that it suggests an issue.

Latenighttv Sat 13-Feb-16 14:11:32

Thanks I was just thinking what on earth i will do when I finally stop to avoid complications.

Topsy34 Sat 13-Feb-16 21:45:43

They will adjust eventually, problem is babies might feed more one day than the next.

With my first, my boobs would get lumpy and full quickly, with my second, i only get full if ds2 doesn't feed (as he is askeep) for 6 hours or more!

If you get pain or redness then that indicates mastitis. I'm not sure on this but i think massaging your boobs can increase supply, so feed baby and encourage them to drain the boob but don't massage it whilst feeding or after.....i think it was to do with massage allows milk to flow faster and easily hence increaing supply. But that said if you feel you have a blocked duct, massage is good!

Latenighttv Sun 14-Feb-16 07:58:47

Thanks!

TheWordOfBagheera Sun 14-Feb-16 08:12:04

Seconding what the others have said - lumpy is quite normal for some and just indicates fullness.

For me in the early weeks/months (so beginning to be easing off slightly at about 2 months) there was just so much milk that lumpiness was still there after a feed too. It did settle down eventually and also didn't happen with my second.

Unless it's painful and red (mastitis) then don't worry. I didn't massage as it just sent the supply into crazy overdrive and made it worse for me, but perhaps that's not necessarily the same for everyone.

Latenighttv Mon 15-Feb-16 07:38:21

Thanks for your response is good to hear. Baby going for longer at night now and I'm waking up in puddles, really hope they adjust soon but as you sat he changes his feeding patterns on a daily basis so they must be confused!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now