Hipp organic?

(15 Posts)
Givinguph0pe Mon 08-Feb-16 09:04:49

I have to start combi feeding dd - 7 weeks - and wondered about hipp organic. I was going to use aptamil but the hv said they've changed the recipe and it now makes a lot of babies really windy?

Has anyone had problems with hipp?

Focusfocus Mon 08-Feb-16 09:14:53

Every formula on the market will have some babies react to it with constipation/loose stool/wind/reflux. Likewise every formula will also have stories about resolving all of these.

The only advice you can follow Is to begin with whatever is locally available easily and take it from there.

I hope you're feeling better now giving :-) and that the little woman has been eating well from whichever source she eats from !

dementedpixie Mon 08-Feb-16 09:22:42

They all contain prebiotics now which may cause the windiness but tbh different milks will affect babies in a different way so may not cause wind in yours. They are all bloody expensive though.

Why do you have to combi feed? Sorry just being nosy smile

Givinguph0pe Mon 08-Feb-16 09:48:34

Because I'm expressing for dd every three hours at the moment and can't keep it up! I'm too tired! We had a range of breast feeding issues which we sadly couldn't overcome and so expressing was the only thing I can do.

Thanks focus I still feel awful about the formula but I really don't think I have any choice.

KnitFastDieWarm Mon 08-Feb-16 09:54:15

don't feel bad. breast milk is good for babies but so is a sane happy mother smile
we use hipp and it works really well for us.

Focusfocus Mon 08-Feb-16 10:00:21

Don't feel awful giving. I am a breastfeeding mum bit I really don't like how women are asked why they are using formula or combination feeding. You shouldn't have to explain. Your baby has had 7 weeks of breastmilk and will continue to get it. It's really fab. Remember exclusive breastfeeding isn't the only kind of breastfeeding there is :-)

tiktok Mon 08-Feb-16 10:17:15

www.firststepsnutrition.org/pdfs/Infant_Milks_February2016.pdf is a link to a good (but very detailed!) overview of infant formula milks in the UK.

All the formulas on widespread sale in the UK have prebiotics, even though the health claims made for them have been soundly criticised for making too much of inadequate research.

It's the prebiotics that are thought to make babies uncomfortable, but not all babies react in that way.

Expressing round the clock is very VERY hard work - lots of mothers who end up doing so find it's not sustainable long term.

Hope things work out for you.

dementedpixie Mon 08-Feb-16 10:22:01

The reason I asked about the combi feeding was because the OP said she 'had' to do it so wanted to check she wanted to rather than being forced into it e.g. advised milk wasn't good enough, medication, etc (which aren't always correct)

Didn't mean to offend

TitusAndromedon Mon 08-Feb-16 10:32:38

I'm sorry you're having such a difficult time, Giving. I felt awful when I had to start giving my twins formula, and I didn't last nearly as long as you have. In the end, though, it turned out to be the best thing for us.

We use Hipp and it's been fine. The babies like it and they haven't had any tummy problems. For whatever reason, I felt better about using Hipp than any of the other formulas, irrational as that may be.

Givinguph0pe Mon 08-Feb-16 12:20:17

I'm aiming to feed 50:50 if I can. So I will drop the expressing down to five hourly. Don't know how that will affect the milk supply though. At the moment I get around 100mls every three hours but if I wait until four hours I get about 130-150mls so not sure how it will pan out.
I need to have a longer time frame as I'm stuck in the house at the moment and I have older dc who will want to go out for longer than three hours during half term!

I really don't want to use formula at all but I'm going to combi feed for as long as long as I can.
Good to hear people seem to have found hipp to be ok although I appreciate what suits one baby won't suit another. Sma seems to cause the most trouble from what I've read.

5madthings Mon 08-Feb-16 12:28:52

I used hipp when I switched to formula with madthing5, having successfully bfed my older kids I was harsh on myself for it not working out with her but she was fine. In my hormonal state I figured organic formula was better but they really are all much of a muchness. What is important is that the formula is easy to get hold of, not all of my local supermarkets stocked hipp so check tgst it is easy to get hold of from nearby shops would be my tip. You don't want to be running out and stressing about where you can find it in stock.

Well done on the expressing, it's hard work, one of the reasons I didn't express with dd was having to juggle older children and the baby, school runs, clubs, pre school pick ups etc made it all tricky. Hope you can get into a pattern that suits you all and every little bit if bmilk counts so don't feel bad about the formula. Congratulations on your new baby xx

GingerCuddleMonsterThe2nd Mon 08-Feb-16 12:42:01

We used hipp after a few trials with different milk from about 8 weeks, can't fault it if I'm honest. The only issue is the packaging you can buy a box from the hill website but I just cleaned out a half used aptimil one and decent it in.

I found it gave DS nice soft yellow stools and frequent maybe every 4ish hours. We also then progressed through the stages and introduced good night milk (were a marketing teams dream. I know)!!

Smells better than the other too and has a slight bitter sweet taste to it haha.

MissRainbowBrite Mon 08-Feb-16 12:44:04

DD had Hipp when I needed her to have the odd top up bottle, tried Aptamil first and it really didn't suit her, gave her tummy ache and constipation. She had about 3-5oz of Hipp every evening until about 12 weeks when she suddenly decided that bottles were no longer part of her evening routine and only boob would do!

Givinguph0pe Mon 08-Feb-16 14:51:53

I had an expressing question actually - you know how breast milk changes to suit your baby from cues in the baby's saliva? What happens if you're only expressing? Is it still as good?

tiktok Mon 08-Feb-16 15:20:34

Not something to be very worried about, I would say, Giving. You will be in constant contact with your baby anyway - kissing, cuddling, touching all mean a transfer of pathogens and benign bacteria from baby to you and back again, from saliva and skin smile

Classic bit of immunology outlined here:

www.dataparenting.com/the-studies-why-mothers-kiss-their-babies/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now