Expressing Questions....

(6 Posts)
SmallBearMumma Sat 06-Feb-16 19:27:01

Hi

My DD is 4 weeks old and I want to start expressing now so that I can get her used to it as I would like to give her a bottle when I am out etc (not that comfortable feeding away from home).

I have seen there are a couple of threads re expressing at the moment but I was wondering how often and when should i express? Is there a better time of day? And once I have expressed it how long will it store for? Also I assume that I need to warm it when I want to give it to her but how warm should it be and what is the best way to warm it?

Sorry loads of questions, I just keep getting differing info from different places.

Thanks

Junosmum Sun 07-Feb-16 14:07:25

In theory you can express any time, but evidence suggests morning is best. Personally I find expressing whilst DS is on the other boob works best.

Expressed milk last for 5 days in the fridge or can be frozen for up to 6 months. If you express over several sessions and add it to one storage container then remember it's 5 days from the first expression.

Junosmum Sun 07-Feb-16 14:08:52

Oh, and kellymom is a great source of info.

SweepTheHalls Sun 07-Feb-16 14:10:42

I expressed during the morning nap time, but it is very much whatever works for you! Don't get disheartened if you start with you get very little, with each of my DC it took a couple of days to get reasonable volumes out.

SmallBearMumma Sun 07-Feb-16 15:29:42

Thanks ladies, very helpful smile

Recollectionstoday Mon 08-Feb-16 08:48:00

Morning time
Powerful electric pump like Medela
Empty one breast before moving to other
smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now