Nutramigen how long until we see a change?

(13 Posts)
rachndan Fri 29-Jan-16 18:46:49

Hi all,

Our daughter is now 9 days old and was originally on HIPP formula but started to throw up the bottle a couple of days ago so the docs prescribed gaviscon which stopped the vomitting but then she started to have a bit of blood in her nappy.

After a trip to the docs, then a&e and then out of hours docs yesterday as there was still blood in her nappy and she was so grumpy and seems to be in pain after her feeds it was suggested she may have an allergy to cows milk and they said we needed to get a prescription from our doctors today for nutramigen.

The docs took their merry time in getting us the prescription so have had no choice but to give her HIPP feeds today until we go the nutramigen. We now have some and she has just had that feed. How long should it be before we know whether this is what was needed?

I guess she will still have some HIPP in her system as she has had the 3 feeds of it today. Should we be seeing some difference in the next 24 hours or so?

She did the whole bottle on nutramigen and as I type she hasnt thrown it back up (touch wood).

She would normally be writhing around in pain after her feed.

I am hoping this is the miracle cure so any advice, thoughts or feedback from your experience would be greatly received because even though she is only 9 days old if she isnt asleep or taking a bottle she is just crying. Never awake and happy.

Thanks

rachndan Fri 29-Jan-16 19:50:32

We are now an hour and a half since the first nutramigen feed and she spent the first hour asleep and the last half an hour crying and seeming to be in so much pain and then really straining to have a bowel movement.

The exact same as when on normal formula.

Is it because there is still normal formula in her system. We could really do with some advice.

We were hoping the nutramigen would be an instant cure.

Thanks

Firsttimelondonmum Fri 29-Jan-16 20:25:53

Hi

My DD is on Nutramigen, has been since she was about 8 weeks old. We saw a true change after about 24/36 hours. The explosive, yellow, acidic smelling poo was first to go. Then she stopped being so grumpy after a feed and now she's 16 months and doing great with the milk ladder.

It does get better!

MaximoosesMum Fri 29-Jan-16 20:26:54

Hi, my ds2 was prescribed nutramigen (for cow's milk protein allergy) at around a week old after blood in his poo and colic after bottles. I think it took a little while for the colic to stop.
My gp said to give it a week and see how he took to nutramigen.
There are other milks that can be prescribed if nutramigen doesn't suit your dd.
ds2 wasn't gaining enough weight on the nutramigen so tried neocate, which he wouldn't drink.
We saw a paediatrician and he diagnosed cow's milk allergy, not just an allergy to the protein in cow's milk.
Now he is on nutramigen puramino.

Congratulations on your new baby and I hope she settles on nutramigen.

Firsttimelondonmum Fri 29-Jan-16 20:28:17

And to add- my DD was very grumpy for the first 8 weeks, so it's great that you are trying Nutramigen this early. But it may not be the only thing you need to try to get your LO settled.

rachndan Fri 29-Jan-16 23:16:19

This is awful.

Literally non-stop crying all day other than when she is asleep. Even that doesnt last long. She drifted off at 10pm so we quickly followed suit and now an hour later she has woken rithing around and crying/screaming.

Nothing other than a bottle or falling asleep from exhaustion helps.

This is so bad!

😭

rachndan Sat 30-Jan-16 06:45:46

I have read on some websites we should see a change within 48 hours and others up to 2 weeks.

I hope so because when you DD is crying and writhin in pain all day except for when asleep or feeding is such hard work. We havent even been able to cook proper meals recently.

Firsttimelondonmum Sat 30-Jan-16 07:40:07

It really is a struggle to begin with, but after 48 hours your DD will have no more cows milk in her system. Then you might see a difference. In the mean time, wrap yourselves up and go for a long walk. Fresh air and seeing the outside can help 'refresh' your mind. That helped me feel less down about the situation.

trixymalixy Sat 30-Jan-16 07:48:47

My DS was prescribed nutramigen as he's allergic to cow's milk. He reacted to nutramigen too unfortunately so was instead prescribed neocate. Nutramigen still contains cow's milk although it is altered to be less allergenic.

guiltynetter Sat 30-Jan-16 08:04:16

sorry to hear your struggles, i had nearly the exact same experience with my DD. we ended up in A&E with her at 6 weeks (sent there by doctors) after she screamed none stop for 2 days. we were prescribed nutramigen and said we should see a difference in 2-3 weeks. it probably took a week when she seemed a little better. less screaming. she was ok-ish for 3 weeks then the none stop screaming started again. we had an appointment with a dietician and were prescribed neocate. neocate was a lifesaver she turned into a totally different baby after 2 days. happy and smiling. do you have a dieticians appointment booked or anything? that was the most helpful thing to us, she was brilliant.

rachndan Sat 30-Jan-16 11:44:15

Hi all, no no dietician appointment booked but have HV on Tues so may mention it to them then. I have read a lot about neocate. Perhaps this would be next if this doesnt work.

rachndan Thu 18-Feb-16 19:20:12

We have been on the nutramigen for 3 weeks now and have been on ranitidine for two weeks and she is still crying after most feeds. I am convinced we should be on nutramigen puramino. She still is writhing in pain.

fermerswife Wed 10-Aug-16 11:54:38

I know this is an old thread but I wonder if op could update on how you're getting on now? We are in a very similar position.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now