has anyone actually tasted formula

(38 Posts)
Maydream Fri 22-Jan-16 20:39:50

Name changed as I'm a little apprehensive to admit this, but I was making a bottle for DS and wondered what formula tasted like. So I shamelessly had a little taste (he's on SMA gold) and I was actually surprised to find that it tasted quite nice blush. Well, I thought so anyway.

I know some people will find this gross, but has anyone else done this? Or been curious about it?

I know... I'm weird blush

SnuffleGruntSnorter Fri 22-Jan-16 20:41:01

I don't think it's weird, my husband and I have both tasted my breast milk - creamy and sweet!

TheMouseThatRoared Fri 22-Jan-16 20:41:55

Yes, it made me gag envy

NerrSnerr Fri 22-Jan-16 20:42:05

It's not weird at all. I tasted my breastmilk too, it's really sweet.

Ilovenannyplum Fri 22-Jan-16 20:42:15

I haven't tried it, the smell puts me right off confused

Maydream Fri 22-Jan-16 20:45:10

At least it's not just me thengrin. I was expecting it to taste vile, I was quite surprised by it to be honest. I told DP to try some and he thought it was horrible.

Battleshiphips2 Fri 22-Jan-16 20:50:47

I've tried it and didn't like it. My DH and I have also tasted my breast milk. It tastes a bit sweet. I breastfed my ds til he was 2 and when I asked him what breast milk tasted like he said cereal milk. I am 33 weeks pg now and have been leaking colostrum. I got my poor DH to taste it and he said it was disgusting. Salty and bitter. Haha.

TheCatsMeow Fri 22-Jan-16 20:52:58

I tasted my own breast milk it was salty. Never tried formula because he's on neocate which is apparently vile lol

Doublebubblebubble Fri 22-Jan-16 20:54:28

The smell is vile for me although I think it has a slightly malty/horlicksy/uht smell which Im sure some people might like..

I've tasted my own breastmilk too - tastes very very very much like sweet tea. always expected it to taste of whatever I had been eating, like curry blush x

OvariesBeforeBrovaries Fri 22-Jan-16 20:55:43

Yep it's kind of Horlicks-y. I like Horlicks but wouldn't drink a full bottle of formula grin

PainAuChocolat23 Fri 22-Jan-16 20:56:49

I tried my breastmilk the other night (im in the process of stopping bf and was leaking) and it tastes pretty sweet. My ds has been put on infatrini and it tastes very similar

BaBaBaBoomBoom Fri 22-Jan-16 21:00:20

Ds has nutramigen (pescription formula for cows milk allergy) and it's actually the work of the devil

Maydream Fri 22-Jan-16 21:17:03

I was curious to see what breastmilk tasted like too. I bf for a few weeks, but I never tried it. Wishing I had now just to see what it tastes like! grin

DangerMouth Sun 24-Jan-16 09:54:46

I've tried my bm, was surprised at how nice it was! Also had to take a sip of a pre-made formula bottle when dd1 was 8 months old going through airport security.

It didn't taste too bad, but OMG the smell so close to my nose!

StitchesInTime Sun 24-Jan-16 09:58:51

I've tasted my own breastmilk and formula. The breastmilk tasted infinitely better.

Ughnotagain Sun 24-Jan-16 10:03:24

I've tasted my breastmilk, like when I pump if a bit leaks out the pump or bottle or whatever I'll lick it rather than find a tissue blush

Never tried formula though!

Junosmum Sun 24-Jan-16 11:22:36

I don't think you are weird but I couldn't do it- the smell makes me gag, but not as much as the smell of my breast milk, it's disgusting!

Kim82 Sun 24-Jan-16 11:29:22

I've tasted my dd's formula (nutramigen puramino) and how she drinks it I will never know. It made me heave, it is absolutely foul. Should have guessed from the smell really...

Focusfocus Sun 24-Jan-16 14:16:00

Tasted both. My stuff is smooth and sweet. Formula is fishy smelling and a bit like flour dissolved into water

Gileswithachainsaw Sun 24-Jan-16 14:20:30

No. god no. but then.im.really funny with milk.

I did use it in coffee once as the mill. was on its date and I never used it on the date in case it was off. (I can't use the.sniff test it makes. me.feel sick to smell it)

and dd2 had prescription milk which stank. so no grin

TheCatsMeow Sun 24-Jan-16 14:30:07

Giles I hate milk too, I felt compelled to try breast milk though confused can't sniff milk without throwing up I thought it was just me

CoodleMoodle Sun 24-Jan-16 14:35:59

DD was on various Aptamils at first (normal, anti reflux and then Pepti for CMPA), and I tasted them all. They were okay, not something I'd want a whole bottle of but she liked them (until they made her sick/constipated/etc).

Nutramigen, as stated above, tastes hideous. Works, though! DD loved it and was displeased when we went onto Alpro!

Maydream Sun 24-Jan-16 20:24:18

I think formula vile when made up/pre made. The powder wasn't too bad though!

Maydream Sun 24-Jan-16 20:24:31

Is*

squizita Wed 27-Jan-16 12:31:39

Yes!! Well, toddler milk from a carton. And breast milk. And Ella's fruit in a pouch. And Organix cookies. And...

You get the picture. grin

I like to taste what I'm giving my DD (not in a precious way, I just like to know).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now