Colicky baby and feeding in public

(19 Posts)
pickleandflux Fri 22-Jan-16 16:15:52

My DD is 5 weeks, is colicky and usually takes ages to settle after a feed. I'm worried about feeding her if I'm out, as it could turn into a very long trip if she starts screaming for hours and won't settle (also not great in a cafe is it?!). I'm currently dashing out between feeds but it's frustrating if there are groups that we could go to (like our postnatal group or breastfeeding group). Do others have the same issue? I'm just planning to wait until we get her over the colic I think.

NeedsAMousekatool Fri 22-Jan-16 16:18:56

Are you not going to breastfeeding group because you might have to breastfeed? In the kindest possible way, that's daft smile My DD was (is) an utter boob addict, if I waited for her to stop feeding we would never leave the house. It'll be fine, honest. What in particular worries you?

firsttimemum15 Fri 22-Jan-16 16:21:50

Di you end tge feeds then to get out and about? Just wondering how you manage?

dannydyerismydad Fri 22-Jan-16 16:25:04

Go to baby groups. The motion of the buggy or car may be soothing to her.

At the group if she gets fussy, no one will mind. We've all been there. Someone may even offer to help you settle your baby so you can have a hot cuppa.

Baby groups can be a great escape. Don't suffer at home on your own.

pickleandflux Fri 22-Jan-16 16:50:15

I basically have to feed her then once she finally settles I take the chance to pop to shops etc. My worry about feeding in public is her having a major meltdown of screaming (which happens after most feeds for at least an hour). You're probably right about the groups being supportive. But still not keen on feeding in a cafe etc, due to her colic sad

SnozzberryMincePie Fri 22-Jan-16 16:53:57

Breastfeeding groups and baby groups are perfect perfect for this as everyone is in the same boat and you will get tea, sympathy and helpful advice. In a few weeks you will be more confident and you can move onto feeding in cafés and other places.

firsttimemum15 Fri 22-Jan-16 17:03:56

I meant needs a mouse sorry for confusion

NeedsAMousekatool Fri 22-Jan-16 17:12:19

Are you getting any help for her? It sounds like the classic signs of reflux. And (the standard MN response but...) do you have a decent sling? Keeping her upright and close to you might help settle her and reduce the colickyness.

NeedsAMousekatool Fri 22-Jan-16 17:13:20

Oh and are you winding her lots? I only ask because my friend was told by her HV that breastfed babies don't need winding and he would scream bloody murder after a feed.

dannydyerismydad Fri 22-Jan-16 17:28:40

Do you have a breastfeeding group nearby?

Colic tends to be an evening thing. Screaming after every feed could be silent reflux. It sounds tough for you.

pickleandflux Fri 22-Jan-16 18:01:12

We're trying gripe water which helps a bit. Perhaps it's helping by reducing acid and helping her to burp. It is tough though and I'm wondering about taking her to the GP.

NeedsAMousekatool Fri 22-Jan-16 18:19:56

Get her to the GP and get her on proper meds, it will really help. And don't listen if they give you any 'breastfed babies don't get reflux' or 'its not reflux because she's gaining weight/not vomiting everywhere' rubbish.

AnnaT45 Fri 22-Jan-16 18:22:16

OP this sounds like reflux. Google it and see if it matches up there is also silent reflux if that doesn't fit.m. Please go see your GP and get some medicine. I initially you'll get baby gaviscon which doesn't seem to help many so keep going back till you get the right one. In the meantime try keeping upright for at least 20 mins after a feed if you can. Please don't worry about your baby crying at a baby group they all do it! X

RavioliOnToast Fri 22-Jan-16 19:41:44

My DD was like this and it turned out to be cmpi, how are nappies ? Is she sick lots?

pickleandflux Sat 23-Jan-16 05:07:54

Not really sicky, but lots of dirty nappies (about 8/day, at each feed). She's gaining weight really well - does that go against cmpi?

MangosteenSoda Sat 23-Jan-16 06:22:35

I also don't think it sounds like colic which is usually prolonged screaming (for at least 3 hours) at around the same time each day (frequently evening).

If it's after every feed then do get checked out for reflux as pps have said. Baby upright for 20 mins post feed and well winded.

Hope it gets easier soon!

RavioliOnToast Sat 23-Jan-16 09:06:09

My DD still gained weight- very slowly though. She screamed and vomited 24/7 and her nappies smelled like decaying fish sad

pickleandflux Sat 23-Jan-16 10:23:49

The more I read about it, I think it's likely reflux. Am going to see GP next week.

Cath1000 Thu 28-Jan-16 07:55:12

My baby had colic and it only started to ease at 17 weeks. It was a difficult time and I didn't want to take him to groups as I didn't want him to cry the whole time. I felt so worried about bothering others. If I could give my old self some advise it would be not to worry about the crying so much around others. I have been to groups and babies are crying and it's not a problem, It doesn't upset me or annoy me. I think it's hearing your own baby cry that makes you worry and feel self conscious.. Just take her, it will do you good to be out and the colic goes eventually. At the worst point my son cried all day pretty much other than when he was asleep, he liked the pram and I just walked loads. I recommend colief, it's expensive but did help. I also managed to get some of it on prescription I also cut out milk, cheese and yogurt from my diet just in case it was something in my milk irritating him.
Some of my friend use the baby carriers whilst out and I think that can help too. Just go and meet others.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now