Stopping breastfeeding bottle refuser

(12 Posts)
ANiceSliceOfCake Thu 21-Jan-16 17:11:45

My second thread of the day as this is causing me stress!

My boy is coming up to 6 months so I'd like to cut down with the view to stopping breastfeeding. But he just won't take a bottle.

So far I've tried.
Different bottles and teats
Different brands of formal, both powdered and ready made
Husband trying, me try and and both of us
Me hiding upstairs
Different times of the day
Expressed breast milk
A mix of formula and breast milk
Different temperatures

He has taken it once when I went out for lunch with a friend. But I can't go out all the time.

Any ideas what else I can do please?

Junosmum Thu 21-Jan-16 18:27:44

sippy cup?

LumelaMme Thu 21-Jan-16 18:29:46

I came on here to say, sippy cup!

We got one of my DC off the boob by offering a bottle with a teat with a MUCH enlarged hole. She was thrilled, and tanked down the lot.

museumum Thu 21-Jan-16 18:30:57

I found this really stressful as I was going back to work at 6mo for a couple of days a week.
In the end we gave up on bottles and it was such a relief! We taught him to use a sippy cup and we fed him oorridge made with bm at first then formula and we gave him lots of food which he took to well and I still bf him morning and night.

When we stopped trying to get him to take a bottle it was like a weight off my shoulders.

ANiceSliceOfCake Thu 21-Jan-16 19:11:00

Thanks, ok I'll give it a try, shall I try the formula in it and skip the expressed?

Focusfocus Thu 21-Jan-16 19:16:44

I am not at that stage yet but my thought is accidents and throwing off will happens probably with the cup at first - and I would indeed cry over spilt breastmilk hehe so I'd go with a little bit of formula j think

ANiceSliceOfCake Thu 21-Jan-16 22:45:25

Thanks. I'll give that a go tomorrow and maybe just let him play with it and get used to the smell.

Nottalotta Fri 22-Jan-16 07:40:08

Ds is also 6mo and a bottle refuses. I have started offering water in a sippy cup and after every a feed tries he has started sucking at the spout. My next step is to decide whether to express (I struggle with it) or give formula.

Purpleboa Tue 26-Jan-16 10:13:24

Following! Also got a bottle refuser. I wish I'd known how hard it would be to get her on a bottle before I started breastfeeding. The health visitors were adamant I shouldn't introduce a bottle too soon but I so wish I had! Next baby will have a bottle from the start.

I'm having some limited success with the sippy cup. Giving her it at mealtimes and letting her play with it. Putting milk or formula in. I'm starting to accept that she may never take a bottle so a cup may be the way forward. Weaning isn't going great but am hopeful she'll take to solids more.

ANiceSliceOfCake Wed 27-Jan-16 19:49:23

Hello ladies who are also struggling with this. My friend has suggested putting a tiny drop of vanilla extract into his milk to take the 'nasty' taste away. I'm going to start a new thread, with this in the title to see if anyone has tried it, or if it's bonkers!

NickyEds Thu 28-Jan-16 21:17:35

I can't imagine it would do any harm but tbh for friends who have had absolute bottle refusers the only thing that absolutely worked was to go out for a long time and leave the baby with your dh and a bottle. I think when babies realise they have the choice they'll choose the boob! I think it's perhaps easier if you don't want to maintain bf- it seems to be harder to introduce the occasional bottle IYSWIM.

T0b1a5B3kka Thu 04-Feb-16 22:28:51

I've a lo who isnt a refusing a bottle completely but will reluctantly have a go. HV so far have been unhelpful in providing support. As I want to move over to combined feeding with the aim of using just formula before 6 months. Currently I'm giving small amounts of formula 3 times a day ie cutting out 3 feeds however this has affected my supply? And lo is draining both sides and wanting more.... including to be fed more frequently. Any advice?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now