Feeding from one side?

(7 Posts)
bittapitta Wed 13-Jan-16 11:21:23

Is it possible to breastfeed from one side only without it causing problems? Baby latches fine on left but keep experiencing pain on right.

MrsHathaway Wed 13-Jan-16 11:29:00

What kind of pain?

How old is baby? The older, the easier it will be.

If small, you might find that a rugby-ball hold on the right is more successful.

Do you have a pump? You could give righty a few days off and do all baby's feeds from the left, but pumping righty to ensure supply doesn't drop.

WaitingForMe Wed 13-Jan-16 11:42:07

My left breast worked far better than the right so I mostly fed from one side. Fed DS until he was 29 months old and they're pretty even.

Fugghetaboutit Wed 13-Jan-16 11:44:24

I only fed off my left with my ds as righty never filled up well

keely79 Wed 13-Jan-16 11:49:33

Word of warning - I favoured one side because of pain and then ended up with mastitis in the breast that wasn't being sucked on. If you don't feed from it, please do express it.

bittapitta Wed 13-Jan-16 11:56:10

Baby is newborn. Hate feeding on right so trying to think of ideas. Thanks for replies

MrsHathaway Wed 13-Jan-16 12:53:44

If newborn then it's likely a positioning issue - people aren't symmetrical! Do try different positions before abandoning the right. Ask mw for help either with positioning or phone numbers for expert assistance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now