Have to interrupt breastfeeding for two days and really worried

(15 Posts)
Cornberry Fri 08-Jan-16 23:23:28

I have to have an endoscopy on Monday for which I will have a sedative. I tried to have the procedure without twice but I just couldn't do it, and now I'm told I have to have a sedative which will mean i can't breastfeed for 48 hours. I'm worried about several things, and could use some reassurance!

1. I can't seem to express much milk with the pump or by hand - I never found it easy to express milk without skipping feeds so I won't have stocked up enough to avoid mostly formula feeding for two days and I don't know how my 4 month old will take this sad I don't think it's the end if the world if she has a bit of formula for a short time but i'm worried it will give her tummy ache of she simply won't take it.
2. she hates the bottle and we've been trying to practise with her this week with little success
3. won't it be traumatic for her to suddenly have no breast feeding out of the blue? I'm dreading it in case she's inconsolable and i won' be able to offer her the comfort she's used to.
4. as i can't express efficiently I'm really worried my supply will dwindle when i don't feed for two days.

any advice much appreciated.

knaffedoff Fri 08-Jan-16 23:32:50

Are you definitely sure you need to half breastfeeding, it might be worth double checking the drugs in breast milk helpline see www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/contact-us/helplines/.

Cric Fri 08-Jan-16 23:35:47

I went on a fri-sun hen party when DD was 12 weeks. I couldnt pump as much as I was feeding because we were out and about. Just fed loads when I got home and milk supply quickly went back to normal. She took the bottle fine once she got going!

Theodolia Fri 08-Jan-16 23:47:52

Who has told you you won't be able to breastfeed? A senior nurse told me I wouldn't be able to, but anaesthetist told me that actually once I was recovered from sedative it wouldn't be affecting baby either - id definitely suggest you check

Cornberry Sat 09-Jan-16 00:10:53

I was told by the doctor at the hospital to express in advance and be prepared for two days without BF. I gather the quantity that goes into the milk is minute but I assume the advice is so that you can err on the side of caution?

Cornberry Sat 09-Jan-16 00:11:37

•theodolia• did you BF after a sedative and find no effect on baby?

Etak15 Sat 09-Jan-16 00:13:33

What sedative is it?

Cornberry Sat 09-Jan-16 00:16:10

it's propofol I believe

Coldtoeswarmheart Sat 09-Jan-16 00:17:45

I too recommend conacting the BFN Drugline for advice. I contacted them in a couple of years ago with a query via email, and their Pharmacist emailed me back within a few hours.

Cornberry Sat 09-Jan-16 00:25:40

Thanks for the advice, I've just done that. I really hope the doctor is over reacting. I've been stressing about this for the last two weeks, trying to squeeze out drops of milk and coax baby into taking the bottle!

Etak15 Sat 09-Jan-16 00:31:49

Oh micheal jacksons fave!! I think the doctor is defo overreacting probably just airing on the side of caution without realising how difficult this will be for you! I think you will be fine to just feed as normal - it's short acting. Found this article to back me up - hope link works!! www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/16765143/
But the BFN drugline will for sure be the most knowledgeable

Theodolia Sat 09-Jan-16 01:32:18

Yes, unfortunately I can't remember which sedative I was given, but the anaesthetist was definite that once I was up and about it would be fine to breastfeed. There was no noticeable effect on my baby. Ive also taken oramorph on advice of a doctor and though I was warned it may make baby drowsy I didn't notice a real difference. I would suggest you might want to ring the helpline given by other posters x

AnotherStitchInTime Sat 09-Jan-16 02:46:33

BFN endoscopy sedation guidance. You can breastfeed as soon as you are fully awake.

Cornberry Sat 09-Jan-16 10:35:13

thanks so much for all your help ladies. have received reply from BFN already and they say no need to stop BF so that's good enough for me! What a load off smile

knaffedoff Mon 11-Jan-16 10:16:38

Brilliant smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now