biting

(14 Posts)
StylishDuck Wed 06-Jan-16 19:40:24

I'm having trouble feeding my nearly 11mo before bed tonight. Every time I latch her on she looks me in the eye, bites me hard then laughs confused Even if I don't react (which is hard because it bloody hurts!) Anyone else had this problem?

Luckystar1 Wed 06-Jan-16 19:43:18

Yes. I've been bitten many, many times. Is she teething?

If she's not feeding, say no and put her in the cot. My DS usually bit when he was messing around at the end, or when very tired.

During the day, I am very, very vocal about not biting (not so at night as I just want to get downstairs to watch to...!)

StylishDuck Wed 06-Jan-16 19:53:44

She has been teething the last week or so but I think her back teeth. She has 8 razor sharp in the front already. I do take her off and say no and put her down but she just laughs! She's bitten me many times before but as you say, usually when she's tired or at the end of a feed. This time she's actually looking for my reaction when she bites me hmm which is why I try very hard not to react.

I reckon hope she's just in a funny mood tonight. DH has her just now so I'll see if she will be more amenable later if she's more tired. I get the impression she's becoming less interested in the night-time feed anyway. First thing in the morning she's still ravenous but she's not interested during the day at all now and now hardly takes any at night.

Luckystar1 Wed 06-Jan-16 21:40:44

DS is 14 months and only waiting on 4 more teeth... I feel your pain (literally!)

I hope it goes better for you! I have just cut out the morning feed DS is not happy!! He too takes a tiny night feed so I'm hoping that won't be too hard to drop...

Your DD sounds like she's well on the way to self weaning, lucky you!!

AnnaMarlowe Wed 06-Jan-16 21:44:01

I would take mine off the breast and say 'no biting' firmly while gently touching their mouth. Then latch them back on. Any further biting and I'd take then off the breast and put them down.

It is excruciating though so you do need to nip it in the bud.

StylishDuck Wed 06-Jan-16 22:13:37

Well she finally went down at 9.30. No feed, she wasn't interested the couple of times I tried since last posting. Just had some water instead.
I was hoping to continue with the 2 feeds until she was 1 then start weaning her on to cows milk. She never took a bottle so I've never given her formula. I'll see how she is tomorrow night. My poor nipples can't take much more biting though blush

Luckystar1 Thu 07-Jan-16 07:13:02

My DS is nearly 15 months and has never taken a bottle. I gave him a tiny bit of cow's milk prior to his 2st birthday primarily as I was afraid he'd hate it!! Entirely up to you of course!

She will get what she needs especially if she eats well so try but to worry too much!

StylishDuck Thu 07-Jan-16 23:57:27

Update - she started the biting malarkey again tonight so that's the 2nd night she's gone down without a feed. Still fed in the morning fine. Looks like she may have just weaned herself down to 1 feed a day a few days short of turning 11 months!

I'm tempted to try a bit of cows milk in a couple of weeks or so. She already has it with weetabix or porridge in the morning and has plenty of yoghurt & cheese so I'm not too concerned. She's a very good eater and I don't think she's lacking in anything nutrition wise.

Luckystar1 Fri 08-Jan-16 07:13:34

Just make sure she has a decent multi vitamin and it'll be fine. Do what you think is right regarding the cow's milk, but excellent news that she's going down without a feed... I still haven't tried!!

StylishDuck Fri 08-Jan-16 21:43:42

Thanks luckystar smile** She went down again tonight with no feed. A lot quicker this time. I think for us the morning feed will be the hardest to drop (i.e. I don't think she'll wean herself off that one like she has with the rest) but I'm happy to continue that for as long as is necessary. I'm not quite ready to say goodbye to BFing yet if that makes sense. I was longing for these days back when she was a cluster-feeding milk monster but now it makes me quite sad that we're more than likely coming to the end sad

MadFestiveGnome Sat 09-Jan-16 06:00:44

Good advice Anna I'm going to do that next time. My 8 month old has one sharp tooth, chomps down, waits to see what I do and then giggles. He can get himself into a right giddy state about it.

No advice obviously OP as in the same situation but also going to miss BFing too despite this current nonsense!

Luckystar1 Sat 09-Jan-16 08:36:10

Ha well I'm pregnant with number 2 so hopefully everything is OK and my non bf days will be limited!!

I do feel I need a break now though. It has been a lovely, lovely thing but being the only on who can put him to bed etc is really hard.

DS seems to have just got over the not having a morning feed (touch wood!) but as a consequence he eats a RIDICULOUS amount of breakfast (more than DH and I), so it's ama inch just how filling breastmilk must be!

Luckystar1 Sat 09-Jan-16 08:36:52

Err that should be amazing bloody phone!

StylishDuck Sat 09-Jan-16 14:15:10

Well even though DD still has a feed in the morning she can still pack away 1.5 weetabix and a whole banana in the morning. I have no idea where she puts it, she's not even that big (she was still in 6-9 month clothes until a couple of weeks ago!)

Congratulations on your pregnancy luckystar. It's great to have had such a positive BFing experience. I said at the beginning that if I made it to 6 months I'd be delighted, I can't believe I'm still doing it at 11 months. It really gives you confidence for any future babies you may have smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now