advice please - frequent short feeds/ too much foremilk & windy baby

(6 Posts)
BlackeyedPetitsPois Sun 27-Dec-15 22:16:32

Breastfeeding my month old. Feeding has been going well so far apart from bout of mastitis (just finishing course of antibiotics).

Last couple of days she has begun to 'snack' feed more frequently and pulls away after 5 -10 minutes. Seems not interested or falls asleep only to then suffer awful wind. Her feeds up til now have lasted 20 mins plus.

When I saw gp about mastitis she told me to ensure each boob was empty and if needs be to express to make sure. I have been expressing as dd cannot empty a whole boob by herself.

Just wondering how I can get dd to take more hind milk which is obviously better for her? I've been stripping her down to make sure she stays as alert as poss whilst on the boob but doesn't seem to help.

If anyone has any tips please?

Thanks.

BlackeyedPetitsPois Sun 27-Dec-15 22:19:19

Meant to say that feeds are now every hour to hour and a half, whereas before she was feeding every 3 - 4 hours.

bittapitta Sun 27-Dec-15 22:22:03

Foremilk/hindmilk has been disproven as a concept I think? Also boobs don't ever "empty"! Milk is produced constantly. Kellymom website is a really useful resource. Is she going through a growth spurt? Have you checked her for tongue tie/how is the latch?

CultureSucksDownWords Sun 27-Dec-15 22:27:43

If you haven't yet read it, have a look at the KellyMom article (http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/basics/foremilk-hindmilk/) about the realities of foremilk/hind milk. It isn't quite as simple as your GP has advised.

If your DD is feeding 1 to 1.5 hourly, she'll be getting all the milk she needs (whether "hind" or "fore" milk). I don't think you need to be expressing a lot if your mastitis has cleared, maybe you could phone one of the breastfeeding helplines and get some more specific advice on this?

thenewaveragebear1983 Sun 27-Dec-15 22:28:02

Look at the kellymom website, there's lots of info. I think the hind/foremilk debate is a bit out dated these days, frequent short feeds would mean baby is getting more 'hind' milk as each feed will constitute more watery and less watery milk in varying degrees. If baby can't empty the breast your milk supply will adjust. I'd look into other reasons for the short feeds such as tongue tie or reflux. My knowledge on this is limited to my own experience but there's some very knowledgeable people on here who will likely reply. Good luck!

BlackeyedPetitsPois Sun 27-Dec-15 23:09:52

Thanks all for your comments

I've been onto the kellymom site and its full of helpful bits smile

Thanks again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now