Is it time to introduce solids

(7 Posts)
PebbleTTC Sun 27-Dec-15 20:47:02

Hi all, baby is 5 months old and is EBF the last week he has been feeding more and not wanting to go to bed (usual bed time 7.30 now it's almost 10pm !).

Is it time to introduce solids or is he just going through a phase?

bonzo77 Sun 27-Dec-15 20:53:18

Nope. It's a phase, maybe having a growth spurt. Early weaning foods (fruit and veg) have fewer calories and take more effort than milk. Keep BF her. Admittedly I ff, but weaning did not improve my babies'sleep. One weaned at 17 weeks, the second at 6 months. I'm waiting till 6 months again as milk is less hassle and less mess!

PebbleTTC Sun 27-Dec-15 20:57:26

Oh right thanks for the reply. He has been learning a lot recently - taking dummy out, playing with toys, babbling etc.

Silly question but when does this phase pass? Do I keep trying to keep the old routine or just go with this new bed time?

bonzo77 Sun 27-Dec-15 21:52:07

I think phases are just replaced by other ones. We've had a phase of good sleeping, and now a phase of waking for a poo at 3am. A phase of hardly feeding (coincided with great sleeping) and currently vast feeding (6 7 oz bottles a day which is coinciding with the stupid-o'clock poo). I'd be lead by him but if you can manipulate it a bit to your advantage do. Tho not sure that's so easy with BF.

Jesabel Sun 27-Dec-15 21:56:35

I'd give it a go. I found a bowl of porridge really helped evening sleep at that age. It's up to you though, it won't do any harm at 5 months.

bittapitta Sun 27-Dec-15 22:23:37

Babies get more calories and nutrition from milk than solids when they first start eating. Food is for fun before one.

Freezingwinter Wed 30-Dec-15 13:34:58

Weaning isn't reccomended until six months so I would wait until then. It's most likely to be a developmental leap at that age, not a need for porridge or anything else.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now