How often does your two year old breastfeed?

(18 Posts)
ArriettyMatilda Fri 11-Dec-15 13:56:05

Dd is still feeding on waking, before nap and before bed. She occasionally has an extra feed or two in the day and another one or two at night. She's going to be two years old after Christmas and I just wanted to hear how often your two year olds ask for milk? I do offer food or water before all feeds during the day time. I'm not particularly looking to cut down just being a little nosey.

Elllicam Fri 11-Dec-15 15:59:28

My DS is only 18 months but still feeds at least 3 times a night and can feed up to about 6 or 7 times a day (arg!) there is a good group for breastfeeding older babies on Facebook.

CrumpetandSausage Fri 11-Dec-15 16:06:59

Dd is 2 in Jan. She feeds before bedtime and then when she wakes in the night/morning. She's teething too which means she wants to feed more overnight. The overnight can be a pain!

againsttheodds Sun 27-Dec-15 06:18:01

We have a 6:00 feed and a feed before bed. Extra if lo is sick or gets really hurt. LO will be two just after the NY.

Joskar Sun 27-Dec-15 06:25:14

Big feed first thing in the morning. Timed feed in the evening. I suffered from nursing aversion during my second pregnancy and since the baby was born so I had to limit the toddler. The timer works really well and I find it much less stressful. Toddler loves setting the time and pressing start.

Radiodependent Sun 27-Dec-15 07:54:23

In term time he feeds sometimes in the morning if we wake up early enough, then briefly late afternoon (when I get home) before bed and night time but over Xmas I've been at home and he has been asking for milk constantly - thinking of wearing a polo neck today! I'd like to night wean him soon but need to work up the courage...

Radiodependent Sun 27-Dec-15 07:58:50

Have just looked up that fb group, thanks for the info btw.

peacefuleasyfeeling Sun 27-Dec-15 08:10:07

Whenever she likes grin if I'm within reach. She is two and a half and asks very politely. We cosleep so she has milk off and on through the night too. I was thinking of winding it up over the Christmas holidays, but now they're here I'm prioritising rest and a quiet life. Might revisit at Easter.

raisin3cookies Sun 27-Dec-15 08:20:13

My toddler is nearly 25 months. My milk supply dropped considerably after spending a few nights away from her earlier this month, so her feeding habits have changed. She used to have milk all throughout the day (esp when bored or thirsty) but in addition to her lessoning interest I'm putting some gentle limits and distract her. She's down to 3 times a day, centred around sleeping/waking times. She recently started sleeping through the night consistently, too, which encouraged my preiods to return!

BondJayneBond Sun 27-Dec-15 08:25:11

DS2 is 2 yrs 3 months. He usually feeds at bedtime, and occasionally overnight if he wakes. He usually wants a feed in the morning but will sometimes skip that if we get in quickly with breakfast.

How often he feeds in the daytime very much depends on what we're doing. If we're out and about and busy all day he can sometimes go all day without asking for a feed once. If we're having a quiet day at home then it can sometimes feel like he wants to spend the entire day cuddled up feeding. And he always wants more feeds if he's feeling poorly or he's bumped himself.

Writerwannabe83 Sun 27-Dec-15 08:30:19

DS is 21 months, always feeds when he wakes up and then usually at one point during the day.

Sometimes I feed him before bed but other times I give him a beaker of cow's milk.

He asks for it more than he gets it. I think if I let him feed whenever he wanted it he'd never be off me grin

OrangeRhinoInTraining Sun 27-Dec-15 09:07:20

My LO is 20 months and has different feed patterns on my work/non-work days. Work days she has morning and night (co-sleep so helps herself through the night) and a frantic feed the minute I get home! Non-work days she feeds lots and would like me to be constantly in a position to feed! Find it a wee bit overwhelming at times but generally love feeding and have no intention of stopping yet smile

Laquila Sun 27-Dec-15 09:16:02

I fed my son til 19 months and my that stage he was pretty much only feeding before bed, occasionally when he woke up in the morning and very rarely at night when I couldn't get him back to sleep. Like a PP, he developed dofferent habits on the days I wasn't working but by 19 months he wasn't bothered when I suggested he just have cows milk before bed instead and has never really asked again. (Now 27 months.)

Walkinglikeazombie Sun 27-Dec-15 09:26:43

My dd1 was 2yo when she self weaned, but she was very much the same as your dd. Would have a big feed in the morning, if I had a day off she would have one before nap, and then one nefore bedtime. Luckily she was sleeping through the night so no night feeds.

ispymincepie Sun 27-Dec-15 22:56:52

My DS is 25mo and feeds about the same as yours. Some days less if we are busy and he naps in the car. I'm pregnant again though and as my supply is diminishing he is asking for cows milk more.

Artandco Sun 27-Dec-15 22:59:17

At 2 years just a feed in the morning usually and extra if ill

Rinceoir Mon 28-Dec-15 01:38:35

DD is 20 months and normally feeds first thing in the morning, when I get home from work and right before bed. More of unwell/we are flying. If I fed entirely on demand she would feed hourly in the daytime I think- she asks a lot!

DixieNormas Mon 28-Dec-15 01:40:33

at that age about the same, he has gradually cut it down throughout the year (was 2 last feb) by 2.5 he was probably having it once or twice a day and sometimes going without any for a couple of days

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now