Pyloric Stenosis

(2 Posts)
rbloc Tue 15-Sep-15 12:43:36

Hi, I have baby boy who was operated on for Pyloric Stenosis two weeks ago at 3 weeks old, after excellent weight gain in the first week, everything went downhill and I was fobbed off with reflux although I knew it was something more serious.

I am exclusively BF and in the first few hours after the op he was still being sick when feeding from me, the hospital said I had a very fast flow, too fast for him to handle so he was then given ebm which he was keeping down. I managed to get him back on me when we got home and he was no longer being sick, however, he is was very windy, so I have started to express every feed and bottle feed him.

He has been a lot better with the wind since I have been doing this and if I ever put him back on me we just have hours, and I mean all day until he is exhausted of screaming and screaming, pulling his legs up etc.

So what I want to know is, anyone with experience of Pyloric Stenosis, do you think my flow is causing the terrible wind or do you think it is from the operation?

If it is my flow, when will things get better? I am expressing for every feed now but I cant keep this up, I also have a 2 year old at home and my newborn is taking up all of my time!

If it is the operation then when will his digestive system get back to normal?

I have ordered some nipple shield in the hope that they will help him cope with my flow but I don't know if they will and I really want to keep breastfeeding long term.

LJH79 Wed 16-Sep-15 15:28:38

I have a fast flow and my LO has some reflux symptoms due to this and lots of wind. He's now seven weeks and would say flow is better. I also did block feeding for a while so you may want to try this as it did work at reducing supply if that's what you want. You can have over supply or fast let down or both. Think I have both. It is a tricky one but you're doing well expressing as I can only ever express 2 ounces!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now