Help, my 8 days old just threw this up

(35 Posts)
wtfih Fri 14-Aug-15 23:20:24

Hi,
My little baby started getting what I assume is reflux today. She had a bit of vomit coming out the corner of her mouth a few times today but this last time there is some stringy brown mucus in it and I'm now very scared of what it could be.
Anyone has any advice please?

Capewrath Fri 14-Aug-15 23:23:03

Looks like a last bit of meconium ( but not a medic). But if worried ring your ooh number. They are sympathetic to all littlies and their mums.

Atalanta Fri 14-Aug-15 23:24:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AldiToddlerTantrums Fri 14-Aug-15 23:26:46

How is he/she otherwise? Feeding ok? Wet nappies? Any temperature?

If they're ok on those fronts, then I would say they're ok and its a bit of mucus. I'm not medic though. A call to OOH or maybe your midwife tomorrow is what I'd do if I was in your shoes. I'm sure its nothing but you don't need worry and it's best to be told by a professional x

zen1 Fri 14-Aug-15 23:29:12

I was just about to post the same as Atalanta as my first DC also vomited blood at a week old and I later found it was coming from me not him.

I think up until 10 days old, you can still phone the obs ward from which you were discharged to speak to a midwife.

GiddyOnZackHunt Fri 14-Aug-15 23:31:04

I'd check if you're worried.The little bit of milk brought up at the corner of her mouth doesn't sound like reflux if it helps calm you. DS could spray it 3 ft at that age with his reflux. Most babies posset which is a little bit of milk coming back up in a dribbly fashion. A muslin corner cleans it up. We needed towels for DS!

wtfih Fri 14-Aug-15 23:35:01

She has been fussying around my breasts for the last 2 days but I think that is because of the oral thrush she has.
She us feeding well still I would say. She had 7 wet nappies today and 2 poops.
I've just called the labour ward and the mw said she thinks it's from my cracked nipples. Which I had since day 3 but got better for the last couple of days.

Atalanta Fri 14-Aug-15 23:38:04

AldiToddlerTantrums Fri 14-Aug-15 23:38:54

Ah, glad.you have spoken to someone. Hope you can relax now smile

wtfih Fri 14-Aug-15 23:41:56

I've worked myself in such a state I don't know how I'm going to cope. Earlier she coughed once. And then once again after 2 hours and I've cried because I'm so scared and she is so tiny. I think I've got the baby blues or whatever they call it sad

wtfih Fri 14-Aug-15 23:46:24

I'll try to relax. I'm going to have a good cry for 5 min and then resume.

I had a bf counsellor visit us twice this week. I don't feel like I've made much progress. Still have not managed to express any milk (counsellor thinks it's the pump) - well, I've expressed 10 ml in 30 min.
And even if I latch her on correctly she quickly repositions the nipple and it hurts again - counsellor thinks ghe thrush is making her uncomfortable and that's why she doesn't remain latched on well

BigRedBall Fri 14-Aug-15 23:53:51

Ohhhh, have a big <hug>...

First of all, I don't think that thing she's coughed up is anything worrying, but glad you've spoken to someone about it.

I remember those days so well. It's really annoying when they don't latch properly. Have you tried the rugby ball style? Sometimes they need to be moved around to get a better latch. DD2 didn't latch properly for about 5 days until I started moving her around.

Elmersnewfriend Fri 14-Aug-15 23:57:02

Crikey please don't think what you can express is an indication of your milk supply. I have bf 3 children - no formula as the little devils wouldn't take bottles. But I only ever managed to express with the middle one. Even with my eldest, who put on 8oz a week (so my milk supply was clearly good) I could barely express 50ml... It really did mean nothing. It is so easy for me to say - but try not to worry if you are getting wet nappies etc. Good luck, it sounds like you are doing brilliantly.

AldiToddlerTantrums Sat 15-Aug-15 00:02:45

I breastfed both of mine and never managed to express.more.than a few.more at a time. It isn't indicative of your supply.

8 days is baby blue central. Can you get away for a bath and an hour's kip tomorrow? OH or willing visitor?

This feeling will likely pass so deep breaths and one foot in front of the other.

You're doing really well and we've all been there, don't think you're alone.

((((Hugs)))) yes not very MN

WonkyPonky Sat 15-Aug-15 00:04:10

Exactly the same happened to me with my PFB. Get yourself some Lansinoh and let your nipples get as much fresh air as you can. Blood will be from cracked nipples. Breastfeeding is hard for first few weeks especially with cracked nipples but they will get better and it will be fine.

Capewrath Sat 15-Aug-15 00:06:20

I was hopeless breastfeeding, the little bugger threw it all up the whole time, sick in his ears, he screamed incessantly. And refused a bottle. But survived my hopeless parenting. They are programmed to. Honestly.

But it sounds as though you need some warm cuddles and help. Is there someone in RL you can turn to while you gave a shower and a short nap?

It is horribly scary, but you will be a fine mum. You are programmed to , as well. Be with her, cuddle her, try not to worry too much as long as she is alert and peeing. But ring if worried. They'd much prefer you to.

Atalanta Sat 15-Aug-15 00:07:09

GiddyOnZackHunt Sat 15-Aug-15 00:12:48

Oh lordy it's early to be trying to express and even with a hospital pump I was crap at expressing. Could barely cover the bottom of the sodding bottle. I had a desperate 10 days bfing with my first. cracked nipples, no success expressing and formula top ups for a few weeks after that. Then hit ebf and continued for 15 months. My DS with reflux bf until nearly 2.
Don't cry over this stuff. It feels Huge but it isn't. Have a bloody good cry. You've probably never had so little sleep in your life and this is at the same time as you're suddenly responsible for the most precious thing in the world.

GiddyOnZackHunt Sat 15-Aug-15 00:14:15

Oh I said don't cry ... have a good cry. That's daft. Have a good cry but don't beat yourself up is what I mean!

306235388 Sat 15-Aug-15 00:27:30

I could never express anything despite the fact I nreastfed Ds until 10m.

Lansinoh works wonders for cracked nipples. Are you treating yourself and her for the thrush?

Don't beat yourself up, just deal with things hour by hour. I spent a lot of time when d's was a newborn worrying about the future and bad habits and how I'd cope and it was such a waste of time. He's 8 now and is fine despite my parenting!

Congratulations on your new baby and cut yourself some slack x

Hellochicken Sat 15-Aug-15 00:34:18

With all my 4 babies I got sore cracked nipples, my sympathies. Had nipple thrush once too, not nice.
Just wanted to say that in my experience the latch gets easier from now on (1 week on), hope it does for you too. Until they practically do it themselves.
I never managed to express more than 1/2 oz before 3 weeks. The most I ever got was 4-5 oz starting from baby 4 months old.
I remember asking anyone and everyone to give opinions on my latch/pain!
I found lots of things upsetting/alarming in the first weeks but it did settle down. Hope you have some helpful people around.

Nottalotta Sat 15-Aug-15 07:37:04

Hi OP, looks like you've got some good advice re the sick up. I just wanted to say that I know exactly how you feel - my DS is 22 days today and took until yesterday to show a weight gain. I have had a few total meltdown over this, cried and sobbed and snotted everywhere. But last week - even before his gain, I just started to feel better. I think utter is the baby blues. I found getting out really helped, a walk with the pram, or even staying in but being a bit more 'productive' (like having a bath successfully!) Small things but they helped.

Hope you are feeling better.

p.s. I haven't even tried to express, was advised not to til 6 weeks?

wtfih Sat 15-Aug-15 09:20:46

Thank you to all of you kind hearts for taking the time to reply.
Initially I was also advised not to express but because of my cracked sore nipples I really wanted to give my breasts a rest, at least for a day and get some relief.
I also foolishly hoped that I could get a few hours sleep if my dh has some milk in bottles overnight. He can't soothe the baby because she only stops crying if she gets to my breast.
She weighed 2.8 kg at birth and is under the 9th centile. From the moment they handed her to me I didn't put her down unless I had to go to toilet. I hate seeing her little face going red when crying and even if i put her down in her cot I miss her already. Having said that, it would really help if my dh could hold her for a couple of hours to give me a break. But she won't stay with him (or anyone else) for more than 10-15 min.
I really wanted to express some milk do he can feed her if she starts crying.
I'm a bit worried because they can't bond together yet because I got her used to be on my chest all the time. And I think he gets frustrated that she starts crying with him and I feel sorry for him as well.

The pump I bought off Amazon was £35 but it had fantastic reviews. BF counsellor suggested I buy the Medela pump, almost 3x the price. I'm worried that I'm going to waste that money because I won't be able to express. Not sure what to do :/

wtfih Sat 15-Aug-15 09:27:30

Notalotta - I know what you're going through with the weight gain�� my little one lost 210gr in the first week. And she's already small. Mw said she was not worried but the bf counsellor mentioned formula a few times and that stresses me a lot.
And it is so annoying that I can't quantify how much she is feeding from the breast. She's using me as a dummy at times so I'm not sure when she feeds and when she doesn't.
I'll try to get out more and take my mind off things hopefully. It's been raining the last couple of days so I didn't feel like leaving the house. Plus I can't walk too much, I have a weird feeling down if I stand for too long but that's a different story sad(

WonkyPonky Sat 15-Aug-15 09:39:45

Not sure this is generally advised but I bought some nipple protectors and used them every other feed while nipples healed. Was only a couple of days. Definitely not recommended for long term use. Don't worry about DH and baby bonding. That will come with time. Newborns are used to their Mum and the sound of her heartbeat etc. It is all they have known for 9 months. But with time they get used to other people. Leave her with DH for as long as you feel you can to get a break. If baby cries for a short while it won't hurt her. On the other hand if YOU find that too tough take her back and try to enjoy your baby's unconditional love, exhausting though it can be

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now