11 weeks old- lost weight

(7 Posts)
lilac3033 Wed 22-Jul-15 11:43:26

I have had A LOT of issues getting DD established on breastfeeding. Finally this week we went 3 days without top ups and only about 2oz a day when we have needed. She has also started sleeping for 6-7 hours a night. She is content and happy, with enough wet nappies. Due to BF issues we weigh her weekly. This week she lost 3oz, which is a shame. Saying that she grew 3cm in the last 3 weeks, She hasn't been feeding as long and at times gone 4 hours during the day. Has this happened to anyone else? I am not keen to supplement more if she is contented and has enough wet and dirty nappies. I was thinking I should just make sure she feeds more frequently in the day?

Silvercatowner Wed 22-Jul-15 18:26:41

If she is contented and happy, lots of wet and dirty nappies, then there is no need to weigh her.

tiktok Wed 22-Jul-15 20:40:44

What did HV say about weight loss, lilac?

lilac3033 Wed 22-Jul-15 21:04:54

Never saw them. I am not really sure the position of the person who weighed her, but they distinctly said they were not a HV. It was at our local drop in clinic, so same scales as the week before.

lilac3033 Wed 22-Jul-15 21:11:45

The person who weighed her didn't have concerns though. I am just concerned as a previous gain of only 10g in a week had the BF clinic make me cut back on BF, which I really don't want to have to do. Obviously I will if needed, I just hope it isn't. Every other week weight gain has been above 100gm.

tiktok Wed 22-Jul-15 23:10:40

Sounds like it would be helpful to have a discussion with the Hv. Maybe phone her? It should be fine to offer more breastfeeds. I don't get why they would suggest feeding her less. But real life help and advice is better surely, esp as there is a history.

lilac3033 Thu 23-Jul-15 13:25:09

The previous low weight gain was at about 4 weeks old. They were concerned long BF sessions were making her too tired to have top ups, which was why I had to scale back.
I spoke to a HV who agreed with my plan of offering more feeds and an extra dream feed before I go to sleep. They aren't concerned at the moment but we'll see next week when she gets weighed again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now