B feeding but need periods back asap...

(6 Posts)
Chattycat78 Wed 22-Jul-15 08:29:14

Hi guys, I'm b feeding a six month old but I really need to get my periods back asap so we can ttc no 2. I won't bore anyone with the reasons but lets just say it was v hard to conceive no 1, and we did ivf in the end, so I'm expecting if to be long and hard the second time so feel I need to get on with it. I've got down to 3 b feeds per day, however one of these is during the night.

Does anyone know if I need to give up completely to get my periods back, or if the fact that I'm still feeding at night (;once) means that that won't come back until my baby gives up needing night feeding (or do I have to switch to using a bottle at night- which I d rather not do!).

I should also say that I feel a bit sad about rushing to have to give up and if i could avoid giving up completely and get my periods backthat would be ideal but I don't know if thats possible....

LetThereBeCupcakes Wed 22-Jul-15 08:32:23

Plenty of women get pregnant whilst still BFing - in fact there are a group of us over in conception with our very own "TTC whilst BFing" thread. Come and join us!

Guitargirl Wed 22-Jul-15 08:33:25

My periods returned 4 months post-partum with each child and I was still exclusively bf each time (and still lots during the night).

Maybe have a chat with your GP?

Guitargirl Wed 22-Jul-15 08:34:38

Yes, I became pregnant with no 2 when still bf no 1 at 16 months (although obviously not so many feeds by then).

PosterEh Wed 22-Jul-15 08:35:08

No one will be able to give you a definitive answer on this as it varies by mother (and by child).

In my case I got it back at 10months with dd. by then she was on two feeds a day - first and last thing. Sometimes an extra one in afternoon.
With ds I didn't get it back until after I gave up (although because it was the day after his last feed I expect it was a coincidence). He was 13months.

Chattycat78 Wed 22-Jul-15 10:13:19

Thanks guys- lettherebe- I don't think (given the difficulties with conceiving previously) that I'll be one of the people who manages it whilst b feeding unfortunately. It sounds like there is no clear cut answer which is a shame as I was trying to avoid giving up completely. If it comes back whilst still b feeding is it a quick thing? Eg- I've been down to 3 b feeds for about a week now- how long before I know if that's enough to get my periods back? Do I give it a few weeks and then drop another feed if nothing has happened?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now