Need to encourage baby to drink more - formula fed

(6 Posts)
Bearcubmumma Fri 10-Jul-15 08:19:06

Hi all, I just need some advice on ways to encourage 4month ds to drink more formula, he currently has 4 x 8oz bottles, sometimes only takes 5-6oz, sometimes takes the whole 8, I am worried the times he only takes 5-6oz he will not get enough to sustain good weight gain, he has a bottle at 7am, 11am, 3pm, 7pm. I have tried to dream feed but he just goes into melt down if he wakes up and doesn't drink any. He stirs in the night looking for his dummy, I have tried to feed him earlier 4-5am, he only has approx 2oz because he is still tired.
i must add he suffered when newborn with silent reflux and still has gavison in his bottles.

Penfold007 Fri 10-Jul-15 08:21:55

Has a medical professional said there are concerns re your baby's weight and progress? You can't and shouldn't force feed a baby, if he's content he's feeding adequately.

MrsLeighHalfpenny Fri 10-Jul-15 08:29:47

If he was BF you'd have no idea how much he was taking, so just relax! As long as he's gaining weight and the HV/GP have no concerns, he's fine.

Bearcubmumma Fri 10-Jul-15 08:33:54

No, he has had slow but steady weight gain and is a happy and healthy little boy, I just wanted to know if I was doing anything wrong and needed to change anything, I.e less milk at each feed to try and squeeze a 5th feed in? All I hear from hv is he should be having 2.5oz to every lb, and he isn't.

Ycoitsid Fri 10-Jul-15 08:36:57

I really wouldn't obsess about getting weight on him unless he is malnourished in the proper sense. Weight obsession can lead to a whole heap of issues in the future.

He will find his own percentile and it probably won't be the one he was born on to. Bigger isn't better

Bearcubmumma Fri 10-Jul-15 08:38:15

Mrsleigh, you are right, I wouldn't have a clue, maybe I am over thinking this, first time mum anxiety.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now