Work and supply question

(4 Posts)
squizita Wed 08-Jul-15 10:28:58

I have a 9 month old who still bf 6/7pm, 10pm and/or 3am and 7am.
In the day she feeds every 3-4 hr usually.

I work in a school and am back for 2 weeks.
I've been pumping once a day (more if I can) and yealding 6oz. DH feeds her with that for one feed then formula for the other 1-2 while I'm out.

When I'm at home for the summer, I'd like to give a bf at lunchtime but am happy to offer formula for the other feeds.
If I pump once a day, my supply will still be enough to do this do you think? smile

MarinaCoyle Wed 08-Jul-15 19:41:38

Is it just 2 weeks you'll have to pump for?? If so I'd say you'll be fine.

By 9 months your supply should be well established- if you're cutting down from 4 feeds or so a day you might get a bit engorged as you adjust but that should settle and a daily pump should ensure you have supply at lunchtime for a feed.

squizita Thu 09-Jul-15 06:07:36

Yep just 2 weeks. Then holidays.

That's great. When I go back long term she'll be 1 so bf at bedtime and morning will hopefully be all she needs anyway.

Milkyway1304 Fri 10-Jul-15 00:25:31

I went back to work when my baby was 10.5 months- full time, shifts. She was feeding every 4 hours or so in the day, but refusing bottles/cups of milk or formula so I never bothered expressing (had a freezer full of frozen milk that I had advance pumped in preparation that all went to waste!). I fed on demand when we were together and my supply easily adapted, it's so well established at that stage. I needed to hand express in the daytime in the beginning, and still do on the first few night shifts of a week. So if you want to pump to give the milk- absolutely go ahead. If it's just to keep up supply, I wouldn't worry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now