Is this reflux? (thread title amended by MNHQ)

(25 Posts)
hullabaloo234 Sun 05-Jul-15 21:59:23

Looking for some advice please as I BF my DC1 so am new to FF. DC2 is 2 weeks old and is wanting 3oz of formula every 1.5 hrs, sometimes even drinking 4!

I'm concerned as this takes her way over the recommended formula amount for her weight in 24 hrs.

Is it just a growth spurt she's having or should I be concerned at her level of hunger? I will give my HV a call tomorrow but any advice I can get would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance for your help smile

bippityboppitypoo Sun 05-Jul-15 22:03:19

"Recommend" is such a small word for how differentiating each child is, I would go with what she wants not what the box says.

hullabaloo234 Sun 05-Jul-15 22:06:41

That's what I was thinking too, but a paediatrician friend yesterday looked alarmed when I told her how much she was drinking and jotted down a calculation for how much she should be having which is roughly half the amount she is having confused It's got me worried I'm overfeeding her or that there is something wrong sad

Gileswithachainsaw Sun 05-Jul-15 22:08:22

It's been really hot she's bound to be thirsty so I wouldn't worry at this point unless she's uncomfortable after feeds or throwing up alot?

they feed alot at this age.

is she definitely crying for food? are you sure your not mistaking cries fir hunger?

does she have a dummy

hullabaloo234 Sun 05-Jul-15 22:11:44

She occasionally throws up a feed but for the most part keeps it down fine. has been taking small amounts of water too as it's been so warm. It's definitely hunger, has all the hunger cues - lip smacking, sucking on her fingers and anything else that gets close to her mouth like my face etc.. yes she has a dummy and will use it if tired but not hungry, if she's hungry it makes her angry as she wants a bottle instead.

Gileswithachainsaw Sun 05-Jul-15 22:14:16

The only thing I'd wonder about is reflux. reflux babies from what I've read on MN feed alot because the swallowing makes their throats feel better.

is she happy in herself? sleeping ok?

hullabaloo234 Sun 05-Jul-15 22:19:18

She doesn't sleep long as shes feeding so often! I did wonder about reflux as she often seems uncomfortable feeding and frequently has hiccups, but only throws up one or two feeds a day, whereas I thought refluxy babies vomit much more than this? Thank you so much for your help I really appreciate it x

Gileswithachainsaw Sun 05-Jul-15 22:27:10

from what you have just said I'd maybe start a new thread titled "is this reflux? " or something as I've no experience of it really and there are many MNetters who have alot of experience and expertise on it and will be able to advise better.

The uncomfortableness (is that a word?) would make me wonder if she really was hungry an entire feed is alot to puke up.

avoid lying her flat. prop up the head end of the moses basket/cot. and keep her upright after feeds.

definitely worth asking your HV tomorrow.

Gileswithachainsaw Sun 05-Jul-15 22:29:05

I meant to ask, does she ever go longer than 1.5 hours? is this day and night?

and how long has she been doing it for?

hullabaloo234 Sun 05-Jul-15 22:29:18

Ok will do, thank you ever do much for your help!

BlessedAndGr8fulNoInLaws4Xmas Sun 05-Jul-15 22:31:24

Whatever happens do not worry that the ? Reflux may be caused by not breastfeeding this time .... That is just not the case - it's simply an immature gut .

Gileswithachainsaw Sun 05-Jul-15 22:34:58

I wasn't much use really sorry blush

2/3 week is usually when things settle down a bit. so if it turns out not to be reflux hopefully it will ease off a bit very soon.

In mean time don't be afraid to ask a friend or family member to take her out fir a walk and give you a break. You must be exhausted flowers

UpUpAndAway123 Sun 05-Jul-15 22:35:29

Reflux can be silent I.e. they don't throw up. Baby would be in pain and uncomfortable-screaming, arching back etc. They feed more often as the milk settles the acid. If you think it is this then see GP.
I assume your friend advised 150mls/kg/day. I work on NICU and believe me, some newborns take way over this-especially bigger babies!
Your baby doesn't need water, only milk. Try to stop worrying about the amounts until you speak to HV and get her weighed. I think it's down to the heat and probably a growth spurt. If baby was bf you wouldn't question this as you don't know how much they are taking.
Was she a big baby? My nephew was and he is nearly 3 months-he feeds loads-way over the recommended but he is a big, hungry boy :-)

hullabaloo234 Sun 05-Jul-15 22:36:32

Thank you, I am feeling so guilty that I can't give her the same start in life as DC1 and I was thinking exactly this.Yesterday I was all set to stop taking my medication so I could until my DP talked sense into me. I can't take care of them properly if I'm not well so FF really is the best option for us this time.

Gileswithachainsaw Sun 05-Jul-15 22:40:02

Don't you dare feel guilty! !!

if you need medication take it. Your no use to your family if whatever your taking medicine for gets worse and leaves you unable to function properly. looking after yourself is just as important! !!

There's nothing wrong at all with formula. nothing. and your baby won't feel any less loved or wanted because milk came from.a bottle.

flowers

UpUpAndAway123 Sun 05-Jul-15 22:44:17

Don't feel guilty. Your baby is getting fed by a healthy mummy, that is what matters x

hullabaloo234 Sun 05-Jul-15 22:50:34

I know you are right, and I'm sure I will make peace with it eventually. I can't take care of them from hospital and there really is nothing wrong with formula I know smile I will speak to the HV tomorrow and if needs be make an appointment with the doctor to talk about the possible reflux.

Gileswithachainsaw Sun 05-Jul-15 22:53:09

Once she's rolling around on the floor shoving dead bugs in her mouth you will wonder why the milk ever bothered you wink

good luck with the HV tomorrow smile

TheOnlyOliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Sun 05-Jul-15 22:54:35

We've changed this title for you - hope you and DD get some sleep soon

hullabaloo234 Sun 05-Jul-15 22:56:43

hahaha yes you are so right!! And thank you, hopefully she will tell me its all perfectly normal and not to worry smile If it is reflux we'll do what we need to do to make her more comfortable

Gileswithachainsaw Mon 06-Jul-15 21:06:20

How did it go.smile

hullabaloo234 Tue 07-Jul-15 08:50:20

Hi Giles, the HV told me to take to GP as it sounds like reflux to her and may need some gaviscon etc. I couldn't get her an appt yesterday but I am taking her later today so will see what they say.

Gileswithachainsaw Tue 07-Jul-15 09:52:07

Fingers crossed for you smile

hopefully all those with experience of reflux will be able to tell you what worked fir them and answer questions of you have any after the gp.

I hope things start to improve for you. A miserable baby is hard work. flowers

hullabaloo234 Tue 07-Jul-15 10:00:57

Thank you. She's so unhappy today, has vomited her last 2 feeds and seems in pain sad if the GP confirms reflux I will post asking for advice definitely! Whatever it is I just want to be able to make it better for her, I feel so helpless sad

Gileswithachainsaw Tue 07-Jul-15 10:07:48

Oh bless her. Poor baby sad apparently reflux babies don't do well flat so keep her propped up. hold her upright over your shoulder or something.

Poor thing flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now