Nutramigen - advice please anyone im desperate ��

(19 Posts)
Halleberry Fri 19-Jun-15 17:03:56

Long story short my little girl has been diagnosed with severe reflux and we have tried EVERYTHING to control it. Honestly everyrhing. Anyway as a last ditch attempt they have given us more Nutramigen formula. I have to be honest. She seems a calmer baby, she poos now, she brings up her wind and the rash on her face has gone. I see a difference .. However ... She also doesn't take much of her milk 2oz At a time MAX and she has started being a little sicky. She was never sick before (silent reflux) but she spits up alot with this milk and I can literally hear it hitting her stomach and gurgling when she feeds. And it dribbles down the side at times. However she has still make improvements from what she was like so I dont know if k should stick with it or not?? HV and doctors are rubbish so im here flr advice xx

Halleberry Fri 19-Jun-15 17:21:46

I need to add that inspite of this gagging And spitting up she has settled down a lot since she went on it confused

iwantkhaleesiseyebrows Fri 19-Jun-15 17:25:49

Hang on in there- it can take two weeks for milk protein to work its way through the system. Some babies can't even tolerate nutramigen (both my DDs have needed neocate an even more hypoallergenic formula). If you've seen some improvement it maybe asking for neocate- it's more expensive so GPs can be reluctant to prescribe

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Fri 19-Jun-15 17:26:32

Have you tried a different teat?

BeansInBoots Fri 19-Jun-15 17:27:25

The dietician told me to add a drop or two of vanilla essences to the nutramigen because it smells and tastes so awful..

Halleberry Fri 19-Jun-15 18:05:26

I'm so confused about why this has worked when they said she doesn't have milk allergy just severe reflux?? Why put us on this then??? Is neocate thicker formala?? Yes tried slower teats but she still spots and tries different makes of teat. But even when sleeping she randomly spits up now. This makes me scared to sleep Incase she chokes in her sleep sad she has definitely improved with her mood though. She don't cry as much and rash is gone etc xx

tethersend Fri 19-Jun-15 18:12:02

My DD was like this on Nutramigen, the GP switched her on to Aptamil Pepti which she took to much better.

Halleberry Fri 19-Jun-15 18:13:55

Did she have reflux pp? X

tethersend Fri 19-Jun-15 18:43:02

DD was diagnosed with reflux and CMP allergy.

Halleberry Fri 19-Jun-15 18:54:22

Not sure what my DD has to be honest. Maybe both or maybe one or maybe none. But it's making a difference (nutramigen) it's just this gagging and spitting. Maybe she needs time to adjust?? I'm just not used to her being sick. She was never sick on SMA gold. And she finished her whole bottle. But she was in constant pain and screaming and constipated and they said maybe she has a very sensitive tummy so lets try nutramigen. So, that's the stage of our journey we are on x

iwantkhaleesiseyebrows Fri 19-Jun-15 18:58:39

Halleberry- both my DDs has reflux which was CAUSED by cows milk allergy. We saw a top gastric paediatrician at great ormond st who said most reflux was actually due to cmpa but this was not widely understood by the wider health community including GPs and regular paediatricians...

tethersend Fri 19-Jun-15 19:32:39

If she was constipated, maybe a comfort formula like Cow and Gate comfort would help.

DD1 was constipated, Aptamil comfort sorted her out completely; DD2 was diagnosed with CMP and reflux, and it took Aptamil Pepti plus infant gaviscon to calm her stomach. Her symptoms were the opposite of constipation- liquid diarrhoea.

I should add, this was a few years ago and we found the solution through MN, helpful GPs and a process of elimination. I'm no expert!

JammyGeorge Fri 19-Jun-15 19:46:57

Both my boys had cmpa. Ds1 was on nutramigen and ds2 on aptimil pepti.

When I switched ds1 I remember the amount of milk he drank reduced then gradually built back up. I don't know why but it definitely did.

AliceAnneB Fri 19-Jun-15 20:12:51

My reflux baby slept in a nap nanny on the floor so that he stayed at a 30 degree angle. Have a look for one of those or prop the head of the cot. I did also use a motion sensor because I couldn't sleep worrying he might choke. We used the angelcare mat one under the cot and when he was in the nap nanny we used a snuza.

catnip85 Wed 24-Jun-15 13:57:37

My DD has exactly the same 'reflux' symptoms OP and was prescribed nutrimigen yesterday. I really had to fight for it as the drs just wanted to give her more meds. Ive tried her on a couple of bottles but she's not keen on the taste. Have things got any better for you- is DD still spitting up?

JammyGeorge Wed 24-Jun-15 20:40:21

They probably told you catnip but if not when you first put them on certain milks it can turn their poo green! I don't remember the nutrimigen doing it but the pepti did for ds2.

Just incase it happens and you wonder what is going on!

UpUpAndAway123 Wed 24-Jun-15 20:45:20

Has your GP/HV referred you to a dietician? I work closely with a paediatric one and her knowledge regarding infant feeding is immense. If you haven't then I would be strongly requesting a referral as I don't think other professionals know enough about infant nutrition, reflux and cow's milk protein allergy. If this milk isn't suitable then there are others they can try x

UpUpAndAway123 Wed 24-Jun-15 20:47:38

And the dietician is always saying how reflux is over diagnosed when quite often it is cow's milk protein allergy that can he sorted with milk rather than unnecessary medication.

catnip85 Thu 25-Jun-15 08:52:48

Oh wow, noone mentioned the green poo jammy so thank you for the heads up! I havent been referred to a dietician up but I might ask. To be honest the Drs havent been v helpful. It seems They would rather just throw prescriptions for medicines at me until I go away!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now