Self weaning

(13 Posts)
TheGirlAtTheRockShow Thu 11-Jun-15 13:45:57

DD is 11 months old, and still BF'd. She feeds 3 times in the day and once at night. I was always of the opinion I'd BF till one of us wanted to stop. I don't, and it seems she doesn't. I'd like to wait till she self weans, and DH is currently on board with that. However, I get some comments from extended family that by waiting till self weaning she'll still be BF when she goes to school, (in a very disapproving tone).
Just out of interest, I know every baby is different, when did your BF babies self wean?

jwpetal Fri 12-Jun-15 13:17:59

Hi. Mine did it at different times. One was at 2.5 years old and the other was 3. I never got comments on it. Perhaps because it was down to once a day in the evening. My husband and family were totally on board. There is a facebook group called breastfeeding yummy mummies and this is a common conversation. Take a look if you'd like. With my 3rd child, I had to finish but she was over 3. She had a lot of health issues and it helped her. I just got a bit tired and the transition was super easy.

JasperDamerel Fri 12-Jun-15 13:19:17

You probably don't want to hear this, but 7 and 4.

TropicalHorse Fri 12-Jun-15 13:24:59

My DD self-weaned off the boob at 10ish months. I'd had a couple of nights in hospital, she was brought to me for a feed three times a day but on the third day she just laughed and then never fed again! She's a cow's milk monster, though.

Stealthpolarbear Fri 12-Jun-15 13:29:16

I stopped feeding d's when he was 4. He didn't want to sad dd stopped herself when she was about 3 and a half

SnozzberryPie Fri 12-Jun-15 13:29:42

16 months. At the time I was sad it was so soon but actually it gave me a break between bf and getting pregnant with dc2 which was nice.

OreosOreosOreos Fri 12-Jun-15 13:39:11

DS self weaned at about 18 months. He'd been gradually cutting down from about 12 months. I offered him a bottle of warm cows milk before nap and bed (used to a bottle as I used to express sometimes), and he just stopped asking for the boob.

Last feed to go for us was the morning one - one day I offered and he just giggled and wandered off, and that was it!

I was very emotional about stopping, so we kept morning cuddle time - I bring him into our bed and we look at a few books before we start the day.

leedy Fri 12-Jun-15 14:16:22

DS1 self-weaned when he was 2.5 or thereabouts, though I was pregnant so I'm not sure if that had an effect.

DS2 is 2.5 and still has a couple of feeds a day but recently decided all by himself he didn't want his bedtime feed any more ("No milk time now! Morning!"). Still pretty attached to morning and when I get in from work, so suspect he might be closer to 3 or over before he drops those.

Sid77 Fri 12-Jun-15 14:23:20

My 20 month old has 4 feeds in the day but none at night. Not showing any signs of stopping...

HaPPy8 Fri 12-Jun-15 14:36:38

20 months.

leedy Fri 12-Jun-15 14:37:46

Neither of mine fed at night after about 18 months.

MadgeMak Fri 12-Jun-15 14:42:52

Both of mine self weaned at 12 months. My eldest wouldn't take boob or milk from a bottle/cup at all and still to this day doesn't drink milk. My youngest will have a bottle of cows milk at bedtime now but steadfastly refused at any other time. I think they both just prefer eating to milk, which is why they self weaned quite young.

TheGirlAtTheRockShow Fri 12-Jun-15 18:45:17

Thanks for your responses. Pretty mixed then. I'm hoping she'll want to stop before she starts school! She's never been much of a comfort feeder, but does use it to help get off to sleep, for naps and bed time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now