Should I use a dummy??

(18 Posts)
butternut22 Tue 09-Jun-15 17:31:17

Hi. For the past 6 weeks my DS has been feeding every 1.5 hours all night (EBF). The past few nights it's been every 45 mins to one hourly feeds at night. I have tried offering him more in the day and it hasn't made a difference. I have a 2.5 year old as well and am really struggling with the sleep deprivation now. I have just been out and bought a dummy. Is using a dummy the right thing to do or should I keep feeding all night? I realise he may not even take the dummy anyway.

TIA

butternut22 Tue 09-Jun-15 17:37:05

He is 20 weeks btw

perfectlybroken Tue 09-Jun-15 17:37:12

My first was a sucky baby, I gave him a dummy and he was transformed, don't hesitate to try it, it could really help you both. I had no trouble taking the dummy away later and don't regret it one bit! (runs off for fear of flaming) PS they do not get confused, milk comes out if your breast, but not the dummy, babies are quote clever! i bf'd for 2 years btw

butternut22 Tue 09-Jun-15 17:39:31

Thanks. That's very reassuring. I will give it a go tonight!

perfectlybroken Tue 09-Jun-15 22:56:43

Let me know if it helps!

Starsaboveyou Tue 09-Jun-15 23:01:50

I agree.

Babies know the difference and won't be confused. If they are hungry there is no way a dummy will do grin If they just need to suckle then a dummy will give you a bit of respite.

Good luck

butternut22 Tue 09-Jun-15 23:07:25

Thanks. It didn't work just now because he wouldn't take it but I will try again when he wakes up (in about 3 minutes probably! sad) don't know what to do if it doesn't work.

Victoria2002 Tue 09-Jun-15 23:09:22

Yes I think he's old enough, if it works and he's still hydrated and gaining weight then do it, any concerns about weight or hydration then stop/cut down on dummy use. I actually cried in the supermarket buying my first dummy-was so against them for years! Next baby comes along and I got the dummy out after a couple of weeks and used it whenever needed.

imwithspud Tue 09-Jun-15 23:27:33

I introduced a dummy at 4 weeks with my first and at 12 days old with number 2, both were/are exclusively breastfed and although it's a bit soon to tell with my 2 week old the dummy hasn't affected breastfeeding at all. We took the dummy away from dc1 with no fuss a few months ago. Sometimes dc2 just wants to suckle, I can tell when this is because she will continuously latch and unlatch, swallow loads of air in the process and then cry because she doesn't want the milk, a dummy solves this and helps calm her down and makes her easier to settle. When she's hungry she spits the dummy out and stays on the boob with no fuss. Most babies do know the difference, if they're hungry a dummy simply won't do.

If you feel the dummy is interfering with breastfeeding then you can always take it away although at 20 weeks I don't think you have anything to worry about. I know there's a stigma surrounding dummy use but some babies benefit massively from them.

butternut22 Wed 10-Jun-15 09:33:32

Thanks for the advice. He won't take the dummy after all that. I'll have to keep feeding all night and hope he grows out of it!

sunshineandshowers Wed 10-Jun-15 09:36:06

Are you holding it in? Till he starts sucking. I would persevere.

yellowsnownoteatwillyou Wed 10-Jun-15 09:47:18

If you touch the end of the dummy and kind of move it slightly he should start suckling, or try a different type.
It might not work but I would give it another go.

imwithspud Wed 10-Jun-15 20:46:26

Yeah try a different brand/type. Sometimes it can take a couple of attempts to find one that they will take.

KatoPotato Wed 10-Jun-15 21:23:52

Mam dummies work a treat for us. Nice flat wide teat.

Hillijx Wed 10-Jun-15 21:29:07

I did a post a month or so ago about helping my now 9 week old take a dummy as she is a very sucky baby. Dd2 had one and it worked wonders and had no trouble getting her to give it up. I have been persevering and some days it works, others it doesn't but don't just give up as it can be a great comfort for both of you! Tips from post included tapping the end, hugging baby in bf position, different types, slipping it in just after feeding.

butternut22 Thu 11-Jun-15 14:15:54

Thanks. I tried again. He gags when I put it in. I am going to give up and start co sleeping more as this seems to help (a bit). Thanks for your advice.

Lillamyy1 Thu 11-Jun-15 20:39:39

I can highly recommend a book by la leche league called Sweet Sleep about co sleeping and avoiding sleep deprivation. (They highly recommend co sleeping as long as you're sober and baby is healthy).

butternut22 Fri 12-Jun-15 22:33:56

Thanks Lillamyy1. I will have a look.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now