Expressing after alcohol

(11 Posts)
snowydrops Sat 06-Jun-15 23:45:59

I express for my DD, she is combination fed. This evening at a party I drank 4 x spritzers, I made them myself, each was about a half glass of wine topped with sofa. I started drinking at 6 and stopped at 10pm. I'm expressing now and planned to dump the milk but actually feel completely sober.

snowydrops Sat 06-Jun-15 23:47:10

Whoops, stupid phone wouldn't allow me to type more! Anyway, my question is would anyone BF or use this milk or just dump it? I only ask as my supply is very low so the milk is hard to get for me but obviously don't want to endanger baby!

123rd Sat 06-Jun-15 23:47:58

I think you would be ok to keep it. ; not a professional btw) I would have done so when my DC were still bf

mrstweefromtweesville Sat 06-Jun-15 23:48:42

Dump the milk, that would be my move, too.

gamerchick Sat 06-Jun-15 23:53:09

You don't need to pump and dump. Alcohol leaves the milk the same rate as the blood. You wouldn't give yourself a blood transfusion after alcohol would you? wink

bwow Sat 06-Jun-15 23:53:52

Keep, infant feeding team told me only if I feel drunk would it be a problem.

gamerchick Sat 06-Jun-15 23:54:16

And from what you've drank I would be surprised if there was a sprinkle of alcohol in your milk by now.

Gennz Sun 07-Jun-15 10:43:32

Cripes I've BF'ed DS after more than 2 glasses of wine over 4 hours! (which is basically what yours ends up at).

I found this calculator very helpful - actually very little alcohol goes into your breastmilk (assuming you're not doing shots)

evolutionaryparenting.com/guest-post-breastfeeding-and-alcohol-consumption/

Lillamyy1 Mon 08-Jun-15 06:42:04

This page is useful too kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastfeed/lifestyle/alcohol/

ThatsNotEvenAWord Mon 08-Jun-15 07:02:56

'Like a shot of vodka in a swimming pool' is how I've heard it described ie hardly any gets into your milk.

squizita Mon 08-Jun-15 08:52:24

I was also told (by a bf support mw and an nct support course) I would have to be "steaming" and probably too tipty to care for a baby before anything significant went into the milk. Plus it passes out reasonably swiftly.

I will feed after 2 drinks with food, for example. Non issue based on my research (and I am incredibly pfb about everything).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now