Bottle feeding problems, am now desperate

(6 Posts)
Bearcubmumma Wed 03-Jun-15 15:18:20

Please help my dsis 12weeks, has silent reflux that is treated with gaviscon, he has never taken more than 5oz at a time and that's few and far between, the midwife suggested trying 6oz every 5 hours which I did do for a week but the stress of seeing so much milk left in the bottle was too much, sometimes he would only drink 3-4oz a time and has now completely reverted back to 3oz every feed, he has never lost weight but is a slow gainer, I am desparate for any advise on encourage more milk intake, i get so upset sometimes thinking he isn't getting the amount he needs and just don't know what to do for the best.

jigglywiggly Wed 03-Jun-15 15:39:44

My Ds is 10 weeks and only ever takes 3-4 oz. I only move him up an oz when he starts draining the bottles. Your boy sounds like he's doing fine! He will just take what he needs, and is not losing weight.
Sometimes I wind him half way through and then he will take a bit more, but honestly don't worry, he sounds completely normal!

seaoflove Wed 03-Jun-15 15:55:02

So you feel the Gaviscon is helping? There are other medications you can try, if not.

Marchhairy Wed 03-Jun-15 16:19:48

We had success upping the amount per feed by changing bottles. DS is 8 weeks but was prem- so 2.5 weeks corrected. He has 4oz on demand- usually every 2-3hours.
We changed from tommee tippee to Mam anti colic- I think it's just a better teat shape stops him gulping so much air so takes more and is less refluxy.

McBaby Wed 03-Jun-15 16:23:07

What is wrong with feeding him little and often. Presumably his tummy is uncomfortable with more which is why he won't take it and could make the reflux worse.

Bearcubmumma Wed 03-Jun-15 18:21:45

No problem feeding little and often, will do what he needs, but his little and often dwindled to 2.5oz and he doesn't want another bottle for at least 4hours, in this case I offer milk before he wants another bottle because I worry he isn't getting enough, surely there is a line when you have to say no you are not drinking enough to sustain a 24hour period and you have to try and encourage more?
Am I just putting too much pressure on myself here? All the advise I get from the health visitor is up the oz etc but I can't...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now