how much food should I feed my son

(18 Posts)
Rizzoli123 Sun 31-May-15 03:55:42

Hi

I know it's probably been covered before but I'm very confused

I know it's 2/ to 2 1/2 per pound which I have worked out to be 33.125 and if I divide that by 5 feeds a day that works out at 6.625.

One website said don't give over 32 oz a day but weight wise he is over that.

My husband says make 7oz for him but he sleeps all day on it.

If I make 6 sometimes be hungry afterwards and want more

I don't want him to be hungry but don't want him to sleep all day either

He is bottle fed and he is on aptamil first milk and that says 7oz from 4 months.

I'm so confused please help

icklekid Sun 31-May-15 04:23:27

How old is your ds? When you say he will sleep all day what do you mean? What is your routine at the moment for naps /feeds?

There is no 'correct ' answer as all babies are different and current advice is to be led by baby and their hunger cues but it might help you to know what other babies at similar age are having

purplemurple1 Sun 31-May-15 04:24:37

Just feed him when he seems hungry until he seems full. Don't worry about amounts too much.

purplemurple1 Sun 31-May-15 04:26:24

Also he doesn't have to finish the bottle so you could make 7oz and then leave half an oz if that seems right for him.

Rizzoli123 Sun 31-May-15 08:14:40

Thanks

My son is 12 weeks old. My routine is I try and feed him every four and a half hours .Sit hum up for half hour, change him, get him to play for an hour or so and then let him dose.

By all day sleeps I mean on 7oz we feed him he is asleep straight after and then will be change and play for around 10 mind and then sleep for up to 6 hours

tiktok Sun 31-May-15 08:49:38

Hi, Rizzoli. Are you in touch with a health visitor? She can help you work out amounts of milk and so on with you.

You normally don't need to be precise about actual amounts of milk. It's more important to respond to your baby's individual needs. That might mean more, or less, than the amounts suggested on the pack.

Your routine sounds unusual. Most babies need feeding more often than every four and a half hours. But discuss it with your Hv. smile

dementedpixie Sun 31-May-15 08:56:56

4 and a half hours between feeds is a long time. 3-4 hours is more usual. feed to appetite rather than by the guide.

dementedpixie Sun 31-May-15 08:58:56

Also time between sleeps will also be short at that age e.g 1.5 to 2 hours between waking and wanting to sleep again

dementedpixie Sun 31-May-15 09:01:09

At that age mine fed every 3 hours and had however much they wanted. They had 6 or 7 feeds a day

Rizzoli123 Sun 31-May-15 09:41:58

I am and have been told they need 5 feeds a day. That's what it says on my food bottle.

If your feeding them more how much each time

dementedpixie Sun 31-May-15 09:45:23

That is just a guide and not set in stone. If they want feeding more often then that is fine. The box will say on it that it is a guideline amount and that some babies will need more/less than the amounts suggested

Rizzoli123 Sun 31-May-15 09:53:39

I know but he is happy and healthy on what he has. He generally goes 4 hours

dementedpixie Sun 31-May-15 09:54:27

What's the problem then?

Rizzoli123 Sun 31-May-15 10:16:34

How much formula should I give him for his weight

dementedpixie Sun 31-May-15 10:48:05

It is a guideline amount so I would feed him what he wants and be guided by his appetite rather than by his weight.

Artandco Sun 31-May-15 10:54:34

It's a guideline. But I have never known a baby go more than 3 hrs between feeds amongst friends and family.

My own children at 12 weeks I breastfed roughly every 1-2 hours during the day. None 11pm-8am.

I also looked after sil children for 9 months when she was very sick. At 12 weeks the twins were fed 4oz every 2 hours during the day. Last feed 11pm, first 8am ish. Occasionally one had an extra night feed

Artandco Sun 31-May-15 10:55:45

So roughly 8 feeds of 4 Ozs. 32oz over 24hrs

velocityofbeans Sun 31-May-15 11:04:30

My dgd is slightly older (15 wks) and has about 35oz over 24 hours,she has 7oz bottles during the day and 5oz bottles overnight. She doesn't always finish them, but is content. If he is happy, doing plenty of wet/dirty nappies and sleeping well, I wouldn't worry too much about the actual amount he is having. If you make him 7oz bottles and he always leaves some, then drop it down an ounce, if he sometimes finishes one, then continue making them and be prepared to waste the odd ounce or 2

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now