3 wk old wind/colic please help!!

(22 Posts)
Smileysar1 Wed 27-May-15 20:05:03

Hi
I've been successfully feeding my 3 week old baby, he's gaining weight really well 1lb 5oz in this week, he takes the breast and bottle (expressed milk) really well. (8lb 4 born, dropped to 7lb 8 now 10lb 4)
The last few days he is really struggling with wind and colic symptoms. He screams, legs up to his tummy, goes red in the face, arches his back, doesn't like tummy massage...
My breasts are huge twice the size of his head and they let down really quickly, my mw seems to think this is the problem. But then says there is nothing I can do about it.
He is literally screaming in pain from 8-11pm every night and is in obvious discomfort after each feed in the day. Infacol doesn't help.
He feeds every 3-4 hours for about 10-15mins. Or 4 1/2 ozs in his bottle.
Is there anything I can do to help him? I feel so bad!

WeSailTonightForSingapore Wed 27-May-15 20:12:08

I won't be much help, I'm afraid, as we went through the same thing, and nothing helped. We also tried the drops that break down lactose (can't remember what they are called now...) which seemed to help a little, as did gripe water.

But, I think it just went on its own at around 10 weeks.

Lonelylass1218 Wed 27-May-15 20:19:33

If a fast let down is the problem then try express a little of first before latching baby on. Keep up right after a feed for a few minute and don't forget to wind. Watch you do not eat anything wit spicy or which may cause reflux symptoms. Warm compresses or a tummy massage and cycling his legs should help with wind. If these don't work try colic drops such as infacol, dentinox or gripe water. I found dentinox to work best for us

tinkerbellvspredator Wed 27-May-15 20:26:10

Consider CMPA and cutting out all dairy from your diet. It's very common, new guidelines are to do this before treating for suspected reflux for example. You need to go completely dairy (milk not egg) free for a couple of weeks to see if it makes a difference.

lisaloulou84 Wed 27-May-15 20:30:09

Classic colic symptoms. I wasn't able to use infacol with my DS as he's not allowed it with his thyroid medication, so had to go down all the alternative routes. Cycling legs and keeping them upright after a feed really help - at least 15 mins.

W33ble Wed 27-May-15 20:31:18

Could be a few issues at play here.

Sometimes colic symptoms have no cure and there often isn't any known cause!. So it's a case of trial and error to see what may help.
Coleaf is the natural remedy that can be used to treat some types of colic (breaks down lactose) a natural sugar which occurs in milk.

Sometimes if you have a strong letdown reflex you might have a lot of breastmilk. How long are you feeding for on each side? He might need to actually blockfeed and just feed from one breast per feed and then you offer the other at his next feed. The rationale behind this being he will get more of the fat/calories per feed. What are his poos like?

White noise can be helpful. You can download an app and play it. Skin to skin time with your baby, singing and rocking. A warm bath. Holding your baby in a bear hold (you tube), abdominal massage (ask the HV) for further advice regarding this. Use one of the anti-colic medicines CONSISTENTLY as directed with every feed for at least 7 days before stopping, and trying a new one.

Lonelylass1218 Wed 27-May-15 20:35:03

If the similar things like propping up and colic drops don't work then consider cow's milk protein allery but try the other things out first. I know babies who have gone through this and are over it after a few days.

Smileysar1 Wed 27-May-15 20:38:34

Lonelylass my mw said not to express before he latches on as he will then have more hind milk than fore milk and he needs the fore milk to quench his thirst?? I'm sorry I'm so clueless but desperate to help him!
Will defo try dentinox! Thanks.

LittleBearPad Wed 27-May-15 20:39:22

If it's colic which is likely, given the timing, I'm afraid the best cure is time. You can try gripe water, infacol for several days. They may help, but you have to keep using them for a decent stretch of time before swapping. White noise can be really helpful.
Don't listen to anyone say you don't need to wind a breastfed baby. Wind him really well after or during each feed.
Hang in there.

Smileysar1 Wed 27-May-15 20:43:29

W33ble feeding for 10-15 mins each feed every 3-4 hrs if he wants the breast again within 2 hrs I offer him the same breast. He only has milk from one side each feed.
His poo is dark yellow/orange and seedy at times every nappy is a pooey one!
Thanks for advice will defo keep him upright for 15 mins after feed to see if that helps

Lonelylass1218 Wed 27-May-15 20:47:07

Just express a small amount until you letdown comes in then latch him on. Has the midwife check the latch to ensure it is correct and no wide gape so he isn't taking in air? Expressing a small amount off first will cause no harm regarding fore and hind milk. If you need any advice pm me and I will try to help. If it is just colic it will resolve itself eventually and you may need to wait it out, if it's reflux/cow milk allergy it will get worse and more symptoms will appear then you can discuss with mw/hv of doctor. But don't stress, he is putting on weight so you are doing well.

Smileysar1 Wed 27-May-15 20:47:19

Littlebearpad I do spend a good time winding him after each feed but sometimes he just won't burp! It's frustrating. I change him after feed to wake him but still sometimes nothing! Hence the Infacol. Thank you, I fear it's just going to have to run its course but will try anything in the meantime.

Twistedheartache Wed 27-May-15 20:50:24

Crazy expensive but I've found colief has helped both of mine with their digestion

Twistedheartache Wed 27-May-15 20:51:04

Oops posted too soon - would only work in bottle though

Smileysar1 Wed 27-May-15 20:51:43

actually no haven't had latch checked presumed as no soreness or pain that it was ok but I will ask hv to check. Trying not to stress but his screams are heartbreaking sad thanks lonely lass will try expressing first then to see if that helps

Lonelylass1218 Wed 27-May-15 20:55:56

Colief can be got on prescription from GP. And can be give before a feed or in a small amount of cool boiled water. What are bowel like, any constipation? Any other symptoms such as crying when put down, bringing up milk, back arching ?

Smileysar1 Wed 27-May-15 20:59:14

No constipation poo every nappy loose orangey/dark yellow
He does bring up milk esp if doesn't burp. He does arch his back

Lonelylass1218 Wed 27-May-15 21:06:19

Poo sounds normal asking as it's not runny and more peanut butter consistency. The odd runny/thicker one is fine. Every baby will bring up some milk in the early stages asking as it's not large amounts and more posseting than actually vomit so all sounds normal. I suspect it's just colic so do try the expressing off a bit first and propping up after a feed, bicycle legs and tummy massage. If it doesn't seem to relieve after a few days try drops then If all else fails do go see you gp or ring the mw/hv

Smileysar1 Wed 27-May-15 21:10:11

Thank you that's a great help x

lendi Wed 27-May-15 21:26:36

Been through all this too with my twins, now 9 wk old, since week 3. Infacol, dentinox didn't work (dentinox v similar active drug to infacol but tastes rank so difficult to get them to take it) gripe water makes them burp more quickly but no better for colic pains. Colief only thing that has helped- worth every penny. Faff to give- I express 10 ml each baby and put in drops and then give in small bottle then breastfeed . Good luck, it is a horrible thing to have to cope with in early days.

Hellesbelles2 Wed 27-May-15 21:40:16

I've got a 7 week old and found I was struggling to get any burps out too even though we were using infacol.

We swapped to dentinox about a week ago and now find they come almost straight away after giving it to him. Might be worth trying but like someone else said you need to give it a good few days to see how effective it is.

Ohfourfoxache Wed 27-May-15 21:48:03

I've only read op's posts so this might have already been suggested

We used occasional gripe water with ds (now 11 weeks) but cooled boiled water helped the most. A few teaspoons would normally bring up a massive burp, but it did still take a while to get up. Alternatively sterilise a bottle and put boiling water in, teat on, let it cool and stick it in the fridge - then you can top straight up from the kettle with boiling water so you don't have to keep waiting for it to cool.

Google tiger in a tree position for burping - that helped quite a bit. As did laying him on his front to my front, head on my chest, tummy across boobs.

Good luck - it's bloody awful sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now