Much shorter feeds suddenly in 5-month-old ebf - normal?

(5 Posts)
PixelFloyd Sun 24-May-15 21:08:04

Hello - as the title says, my ds had always taken quite long at feeds (45 mins up to an hour in total, always giving both sides). The past few days though his feeds particularly in the daytime have reduced to sometimes only 10 mins per side - while this is great in that I'm not still sat feeding him like a newborn it has got me a bit worried he's no longer getting enough!

Is this unusual? Is it possible he's finally learned to drain the breast much more efficiently? I was told it should happen at some point but since it hadn't happened by 3 months I'd assumed we were stuck with very long feeds for good!

Or should I be concerned? He hasn't upped the frequency at all so is still feeding every 3-4 hours. Also his last feed before bed and night feed tend to still take 40-odd mins.

PourquoiTuGachesTaVie Sun 24-May-15 21:13:04

All sounds normal to me.

rcast79 Sun 24-May-15 22:13:20

Sounds normal. My DD got quicker and quicker and at the weigh ins was still putting on the pounds. Sounds like your son has become efficient. Next time you get him weighed just check he is still on track and that will put your mind at rest smile

chiruri Sun 24-May-15 22:20:46

Sounds like my DD, but she did it at about 3 months. I panicked at the time but she continued to fill her nappies and put on plenty of weight so it's all been fine. She still has a long feed at bed time but daytime feeds average at about 7-10 minutes total now (at just over 4 months old).

PixelFloyd Mon 25-May-15 02:07:48

Thanks so much, he's due a weigh-in next week actually so will see if he's still on track then. Hadn't thought of it but of course, wet nappies are an indicator and so far these are the same. Much appreciated!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now