Fore milk/hind milk and the green poo riddle

(9 Posts)
flipflopsonfifthavenue Mon 11-May-15 18:45:14

So DS2 is 6mo and ebf. Three days into BLW.

For the last two weeks his poos have been green and jelly-like. And very frequent including during the night. He's also very gassy.

Other than this he's happy - no apparent discomfort or tummy ache. Had a mild cold a few weeks ago but tbh he's had one on and off for months. His two bottom teeth came through in the past 10 days.

A quick mumsnet search has suggested possibly causes for green poo are:
A cold
Teething
Or too much foremilk vs hind milk.

Now he's veeeeeeeery easily distracted and nosey. Virtually from the start he's turned his head to look behind him while feeding. Result is he's a bit of a snacker and unless am feeding him in a quiet room, it's actually very hard to get him to take a proper feed during the day. Throw in my toddler DS1 running around and its game over! Bedtime and nighttime is when he gets his calories basically.

I always offer the same boob for several of his snacks to make sure he's draining it (hate that expression....) and getting the hind milk, and he's growing well and is happy so even if it's a pita, he's thriving so he's clearly getting what he needs.

Thing is, I haven't noticed a change in his feeding habits, so why be affected now by too much fore milk? If indeed this is what's causing it?

Anyone else experienced similar? He's happy so don't think it's cause for a trip to the GP... Or perhaps it is?

NotQuiteCockney Mon 11-May-15 18:46:54

I really wouldn't worry.

Hind milk/fore milk are outdated terms. Babies are only likely to get insufficient fat intake if they are always feeding off a very full breast. Which mostly happens when their mum has oversupply.

schopenhauer Mon 11-May-15 18:49:56

HVs have told me there is nothing to worry about with green poo . I would imagine it has happened because you have started weaning so it is something new for his digestive system.

SoupDragon Mon 11-May-15 18:50:08

As I understand it, the hind milk/fore milk thing isn't true.

Another reason for your list of things it could be is the fact that sometimes it just is green.

squizita Tue 12-May-15 09:44:56

My dd had green poo when she just started weaning. The GP and HV reckoned it's quite common with ebf babies - their insides have only digested a very mild liquid food then suddenly get solid lumps.
Their suggestion was give plenty of milk and water (as it can make baby thirsty) and wait/watch. After a week or so it started going yellowy brown and pasty (yuk) ie mostly milk with some solids poo.
smile
If the poo isn't the runs and there's no pain or blood it can just be one of those things and harmless, I've been told (by hcp, nct bf supporters, and on here). smile

squizita Tue 12-May-15 09:46:16

...oh and dd also had a cold. The gp said a common cold which makes nappies "nasty" is doing the rounds but again just keep baby hydrated and comfortable. smile

Springtimemama Tue 12-May-15 09:49:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Springtimemama Tue 12-May-15 09:50:26

Springtimemama Tue 12-May-15 09:52:02

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now