Feeding too much?

(12 Posts)
Whoami24601 Sun 10-May-15 01:09:42

My 1 week old seems to be feeding a lot ATM. He was born slightly premature (36+2) and so we have had problems getting him to latch and establishing bf. He's got the hang of it now, but is constantly wanting feeding. Tonight I started feeding at about 7pm, and he's still going now! He'll take 1 breast for 10/15 mins, then a break, then take the other one after 10 mins. Which would be wonderful except I would like to sleep at some point! Is this normal? Can anyone advise how to stop it? I'm listening to DH snoring away and it's making me want to stab him with my pencil!

CultureSucksDownWords Sun 10-May-15 01:40:55

Sad to say it's normal. Your baby is building your supply and it will calm down soon. Make sure your DH is doing absolutely everything else for you, and takes the baby in the day between feeds so you can rest/sleep.

Woodenheart Sun 10-May-15 01:55:37

Hi OP, I remember it well! It does pass eventually, but if you can, just try to go with the flow so to speak smile

I know its exhausting, drink & eat as much as you can ( baby is!) you need the calories & need rest.

some info on cluster feeding

Woodenheart Sun 10-May-15 02:00:02

Btw, congratulations, 1 week old and he sounds like a star, you are both doing really well, with feeding after the initial problems.

badg3r Sun 10-May-15 02:03:39

Totally normal in the beginning. At that age my DS once ate pretty much continuously for seven hours. I was amazed there was anything left! Once you're confident maybe you could give feeding lying down a shot to give you more of a chance to rest. Second getting OH to do EVERYTHING else at this stage. Congratulations by the way!

Ifyourawizardwhydouwearglasses Sun 10-May-15 03:03:49

Totally normal.

It won't last forever, just make sure that you eat and most importantly drink lots yourself.

Just whack a box set on through the day and learn to feed lying down through the night.

Congratulations flowers

Ifyourawizardwhydouwearglasses Sun 10-May-15 03:05:07

Ps love your username!

'Who am I? I'm Jean ValJean!'

Eltonjohnsflorist Sun 10-May-15 03:44:39

Totally normal - congratulations!

You'll appriciate all that early feeding when you have a lovely reliable supply

Whoami24601 Sun 10-May-15 04:07:47

Oh good at least it's normal smile unfortunately I also have a 3yo DD so resting between feeds is not really practical! DH is fab, and does as much as he can. I'm not really good at sitting down though. As a side - bil and sil (who are lovely) are planning on visiting tomorrow. They're arriving at 9am confused would it be really rude if I left DH to deal with them while I slept in? DH normally takes both kids downstairs around 730 and just brings baby up for feeding about 930 so I can get some sleep. I don't know how I'll function without my 2 hours!

Eltonjohnsflorist Sun 10-May-15 05:22:00

Not rude at all!

Ifyourawizardwhydouwearglasses Sun 10-May-15 06:50:26

They're arriving at 9am

Who DOES this?? shock

Not rude at all, rest away.

Pointlessfan Sun 10-May-15 06:56:05

Congratulations! I remember that first week with a new born and thinking "you can't be hungry, again!". It doesn't last long. Make sure you have plenty to eat and drink.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now