Jumping percentiles

(8 Posts)
EstRusMum Thu 07-May-15 14:37:31

DD is 4 months and is EBF. She is really liking her milk. She weighed 13lb 2oz at 9+4 weeks. Today she weighs 17lb 3oz(16+6).
According to HV I should keep longer gaps between feeds, as she gains weight too quickly. She jumped from 78th to 93rd percentile over 2 months.
I never force her to eat and she also takes her dummy. So when she is full but tired, she unlatches and wants the dummy instead. As soon as she gets it, she falls asleep. And vice versa: if she is hungry, she spits out the dummy and is pulling my clothes and searching for breast.
She feeds every 2-3 hours apart from night when she is sleeping for 6-7 hours.
Should I listen to HV advice and feed her less often or continue the same(on demand) and stop going to HV? Is this kind of weight gain very worrying?
TBH I find her advice silly. Keeping baby hungry to fit on the chart..?hmm
But then again maybe someone here can explain why would she recommend something like that?
Thank you.

Wadingthroughsoup Thu 07-May-15 14:43:59

I can't speak for why the HV has advised that, but personally I would ignore it. My EBF son put on ridiculous amounts of weight in his early months, but I continued to feed on demand. He became very rotund indeed but no-one ever suggested I was feeding him too much! He is now a very healthy 7 year-old and as lean as can be. I wouldn't worry- feeding every 2-3 hours at that age is normal, IIRC.

CultureSucksDownWords Thu 07-May-15 14:44:28

How long is your baby? Does the length centile match the weight centile, roughly? It's pointless to say anything about weight unless you also consider the length as well, IMO.

Also, does she look too chubby? Is she ok with tummy time, can she roll etc? If she's doing all these things and looks ok then I really wouldn't worry about what the HV has said. You're demand feeding, and it sounds like your baby is feeding really well and it's a shame that the HV has made you feel concerned.

CloserToFiftyThanTwenty Thu 07-May-15 14:50:15

I'd ignore - EBF babies don't get overweight hmm

AnythingNotEverything Thu 07-May-15 14:54:05

I have no idea what problem the uv could possibly have with that weight gain. I would ignore her and possibly stop going to that clinic smile

EstRusMum Thu 07-May-15 15:12:29

She doesn't look too chubby. They don't measure babies' length here, so don't know how long she is.
She doesn't really enjoy tummy time, but gets it regardless, just shorter periods of time. Not rolling over just yet, but is really trying. Like a bug who's fallen on his backsmile.
While lying down can lift her head up - really doesn't like horizontal position. When on my lap, rocking herself back and forward.
I would say she is active enough and I wasn't worried until today, but now can't get over it.
I will talk to GP tomorrow and probably will stop going to this HV. If she is misleading mothers on things like that, she might be wrong about everything else.

tiktok Thu 07-May-15 15:19:40

There's no lines for the 78th and 93rd centiles, EstRusMum - do you mean 75th and 91st?

In that case it is a move of one centile space, which is within normal.

Her feeding frequency and feeding behaviour sound normal.

If the HV has worried you, then it would be perfectly ok to ask for a second opinion. On what you say here, all sounds well, but it would be good to check with the doctor, as you say you might do.

EstRusMum Thu 07-May-15 15:37:17

Damn. blush Checked weight on WHO site and put those numbers instead of actual lines in the book. Sorry. Yes, these are the ones I mean.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now