3 days in - I already need to cordon off my boobies!

(14 Posts)
flopsybunny45 Mon 04-May-15 09:12:58

Support please - positive stories?
In agony, cracked nipples which are getting more and more blistered. Can I push through this? Dc has no obvious tt and seems to be latching well. Different positions seem to make no difference to the pain I am in though ... Is it just my milk coming in? (Hopeful face)

BlacknWhitePanda Mon 04-May-15 09:16:55

I remember the pain well.. I suppose you have to think of it this way.. Your nipples have gone from sitting in a bra all day to being wet and pulled as baby is learning to feed. So they get sore!

For me it healed in a couple of days especially when my milk came in and we are still going 4 months later! Lots of nipple cream, try and let the air get to them as much as possible and make sure dc is latched properly!

Congratulations on your new baby!

HeadDoctor Mon 04-May-15 09:19:28

Sore is normal, cracked and blistered isn't. Can you get a breastfeeding counsellor to check your latch?

PourquoiTuGachesTaVie Mon 04-May-15 09:22:39

Does the pain lessen as the feed goes on? If so (which is what I experienced) then it sounds like you are doing ok. I found day 3 the absolute worst but I'm still ebf 24 weeks in now.

Boobs out as much as possible, let the air get to them. Use bm on sore nipples to help them heal and lots of lansinoh.

flopsybunny45 Mon 04-May-15 21:31:52

Thanks guys - def better tonight so fingers crossed! So eager to succeed this time even though problem out of my hands last time (diagnosed allergy)

Maria33 Mon 04-May-15 21:37:19

I had pain and cracked nipples. I used lots of ointment and pushed through. Day 3 was bad - it was all much much better by day 7. It does make life easier ultimately but the last thing you feel like straight after giving birth is more physical trauma!!!
Sounds like you're doing great - good luck. My dd is 16 now and about to start her GCSE exams. I remember that time with so much fondness even if it was bloody hard work grin

ArgentinianMalbec Mon 04-May-15 21:40:39

I had blistering and cracking too. Absolute agony. It got better in time, there is a light at the end of the tunnel! Congratulations on the new baby smile

HumphreyCobbler Mon 04-May-15 21:41:18

If you have cracked nipples don't let the cracks dry out, as they will scab over and then break from the bottom the next time the baby latches on. Jelonet will help you to heal, I found it easier to use than lanisoh as that was so painful to put on.

Smartiepants79 Mon 04-May-15 21:42:52

Try and stick it out for a week. Is suspect it might be better by then. I remember how much it hurt and I agree day 3 was about the worst. Lansinoh and one feed at a time.

PourquoiTuGachesTaVie Mon 04-May-15 22:03:27

Warm the lansinoh up between your legs/under your arm before trying to put it on. It softens it up and makes it easier and smoother to apply.

flopsybunny45 Tue 05-May-15 08:24:50

Thanks guys... Also wondering if it's because he's a sleepy boy and my boobs are getting a little engorged between feeds that are a few hours apart?? X

minipie Tue 05-May-15 14:52:34

agree that sore is normal, cracked is not. Has anyone checked for TT (some posterior ones are hard to spot, that's what caused my cracked nipple with dd1) and checked latch?

if you're a bit engorged that may be stopping him latching properly. Can you express off a little bit before a feed - just enough so the area round the nipple is soft enough for him to latch?

I have found hydrogel pads (a wound dressing used for burns) to be good for healing sore nipples - you wear the pad constantly for 10 hours except for feeds. it's non toxic.

FlaviaAlbia Tue 05-May-15 15:00:01

I never used them but I've seen people on here swearing by silverette nursing cups, might be worth advance searching for mentions of then. They help you heal really quickly apparently.

Is it sore when feeding and has your DS been checked for tongue tie by a lactaion consultant? My HV told me my DS didnt have one but he did. If you could get along to a La Leche League meeting they are great.

flopsybunny45 Tue 05-May-15 17:50:01

Thanks guys - dd had tt and in comparison he looks like he is fully on the breast. He is just rooting constantly. Mw keeps asking me how many feeds a day but there is no defined start or end, it just goes on/off for hours... She seemed concerned about this snacking being a sign of a bad latch, but it looks good, he seems happy and at times throughout these mammoth feeds I can hear milk glugging down and see it...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now