Should my 2 week old be doing more night feeds? Worried about future supply!

(8 Posts)
Mrscog Mon 04-May-15 04:43:42

DS2 is 2 weeks (and 1 hour!) old smile. Compared to DS1 bf has gone amazingly well this time, 5% weight loss, regained by a week and he'd gained more weight by day 10. He's having lots of wet and dirty nappies and is very content and happy baby so far.

My only concern is that he doesn't feed very much at all between midnight and 5 am, he cluster feeds massively 8-midnight but then conks out for 3-4 hours and then a bit more. I know I should be thanking my lucky stars for this (and i am) but I also know from the peer support course that I did that feeding between 12-3 in the early days is important fir supply. I'm worried that his pattern might cause us problems down the road.

Anyone got any experience?

Milkyway1304 Mon 04-May-15 05:02:10

Mine did 4-5 hour stretches at night from that age. She was going 8 hours by 10weeks. I worried too but she fed at least 2 hourly in the and cluster fed in the evenings for hours. I had an oversupply of anything, and we are still feeding at 12 months.

Mrscog Mon 04-May-15 07:37:52

Thanks Milkyway that's reassuring smile He is a frequent feeder in the day, and does a couple of stints of cluster feeding. I wish I could just relax! But after the ordeals I went through with DS1, I can hardly believe my luck this time!

tiktok Mon 04-May-15 09:11:39

I have never heard that feeding between 12 and 3 is crucial. I would be vey sceptical of such prescription.

You and your baby are doing well. What a shame such a piece of dogma is making you anxious sad

SinisterBunnyMonth Mon 04-May-15 09:15:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Mrscog Mon 04-May-15 14:31:30

Thank you everyone, I'm going to stop worrying now and just get on with enjoying DS, who's just perfect smile (what's the betting he starts frequent night waking now?!)

wwbuffydo Mon 04-May-15 15:48:08

My wee one is 12 weeks today and has always slept from about 10/11pm to 6am. I could not believe it- his sister didn't sleep at all and fed all night. But he is exactly the same- from now onwards he cluster feeds. I started off worrying about it but but have decided just to go with the flow- I mean, what, in reality, can we do to change it?

ellemme Mon 04-May-15 16:43:27

I worried about this too as my dd was a very good night sleeper from the beginning and I had got the idea that night feeding was important for supply. However I stuck with my instinct that she was feeding well during the day (2 hourly and then cluster feeding 6-11) and would wake if she needed feeding. It worked out great for us and I have never needed to supplement. I didn't express much either, and when I did it was in the morning after first feed, from the unused boob. Dd is now 6mo and still ebf, mostly sleeping through and feeding 5-6 times during the day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now