Need to leave 10 month ebf baby overnight

(10 Posts)
tealover1985 Sun 31-Aug-14 15:47:30

Ds currently 7 months, he doesn't exactly refuse a bottle but just chews on the teat and doesn't really know how to actually swallow the milk.

He is having 4 feeds a day plus one or two night feeds. I need to go away when he is 10 months old for a whole day, that night and half the next day.

In people's experience at this age do you think it is best to persevere with the bottle or start trying with sippy cup. He takes some water from cup but nowhere near a whole feed.

also, how many feeds where your 10 month olds having?

I haven't had a day or night off since ds born and I really want to go to this!

hubbahubster Sun 31-Aug-14 18:50:10

Firstly, your baby will not be EBF at 10 months. He'll be on three meals a day plus two snacks probably. I'm guessing you're thinking he might still want milk before bed? In which case whoever's watching him could offer EBM or formula in a sippy cup - it's not the end of the world if he doesn't take it as he'll be eating properly by then anyway.

DC1 was down to two feeds a day by 10 months I think - one morning and one night.

tealover1985 Sun 31-Aug-14 20:32:36

Yes it's the bedtime feed I'm mainly worried about. He is having a small amount of solids now but not much and mostly it's still milk. So you reckon a ten month old will be able to drink enough milk out of a sippy cup?

hubbahubster Sun 31-Aug-14 21:17:27

Yep, babies can start using a sippy cup from 6 months! Ditching bottles is better for their speech development too.

museumum Sun 31-Aug-14 21:20:40

My ds rejected the bottle at 3months and we gave up in the end and went straight from bf to cup.

Start the sippy cup for water now, and let them practice loads. We gave ds his in the living room with water from about 6mo and it probably took about four to six weeks until he was accurate enough with it that we could trust him with milk.

He's a year (today) and he drinks his bedtime milk from a cup and has a bf in the mornings only now.

hollie84 Sun 31-Aug-14 22:42:13

I have a 6 month old and haven't given him milk in a cup yet, but he can hold a sippy cup himself and glug water from it so I's sure a 10 month old will be fine.

roofio87 Mon 01-Sep-14 09:23:09

my ds started refusing bottles at 9.5 months and started having all this milk from a sippee cup. He will drain 6oz at a time from one now (11 months) I know every baby is different but it's definitely possible!

tealover1985 Mon 01-Sep-14 14:24:21

Oh good, this is all making me feel better. I have loved breastfeeding but I'm starting to feel like I need a little bit of freedom back, just the odd day out will be nice in a couple of months.

eatscakefornoreasonwhatsoever Mon 01-Sep-14 14:30:26

You could try an open cup, like a doidy cup, if the sippy cup isn't going very well. My (ebf) DS was rubbish with the sippy cup but 'got' an open cup very quickly. And by 10 months he can last that long without milk as long as he stays hydrated and you should be able to pick up where you left off with bf when you come back.
You may need breastpads though!

yellowsnownoteatwillyou Mon 01-Sep-14 14:32:25

Your baby will change a lot in that time frame, my ds at 7months had 4 /5 feeds thru the day but not thru the night but at 10 months only had milk at bedtime and morning never during the day. Just had water in a cup and food.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now