Struggling to BF in public

(10 Posts)
Loops81 Fri 29-Aug-14 22:11:48

I'd love to hear from anyone else who struggles to breastfeed in public. I've been doing it for 4 months now and it's getting worse, not better. I'm not afraid of people seeing my boobs or of judging me - my problem is that my baby has a small appetite and is usually too distracted to feed so often refuses, fusses, cries or bobs on and off, leaving me a leaky mess. I can never hold her comfortably to feed outside my house, making it more stressful for both of us. I've started sneaking off to the toilets to feed sometimes, which is awful. I'm envious of all the mums I see happily feeding their babies as they chat, eat etc in cafés and feel like a total failure that feeding in public still fills me with panic after 4 months!

feeona123 Sat 30-Aug-14 03:58:40

Hey, think you just need to relax! Practice at home a bit. I have t shirts from H&M which are good for keeping you covered without the need for a cover etc. I also have a 'snoob' for when I'm not wearing bf tops.

Try and sit away from people while you have a few tries and get your confidence up.

My baby has started thrashing around and it's getting harder. I just make sure I keep her head close if she comes off to avoid exposure! She also screams to get on 2nd side. I just keep as calm as possible and keep her head close to avoid exposure again!

Good luck x

Charingcrossbun Sat 30-Aug-14 04:15:31

As above. Also have you tried different positions? I was struggling with the cradle hold when out (and without a pillow). So I ended up sitting DS so he straddles one thigh, facing in,
so he then lifts his head and feeds (called the horse and jockey position apparently...). I also invested in a load of vests from primark that I wear under everything so my top comes up and the vest comes down. This ensures my belly is covered when feeding and made me feel a lot more confident.
Good luck grin

Eminybob Sat 30-Aug-14 05:10:27

I'm so glad I've seen this post, I have the same issue.

DS is 7 weeks and otherwise bf is going really well, but I just can't get comfy without my pillow while were out and about and DS gets agitated and draws attention to us.

Plus I have huge boobs so there is no discretion!

MyNameIsSuz Sat 30-Aug-14 07:29:33

To help with the baby getting distracted, could you drape a muslin over your shoulder and the baby while feeding? This used to help me. Also make sure you choose the best place to feed, facing away from the room or in a corner so it's a bit quieter and not so much to see. If you struggle without a pillow, would a bundled up blanket or the changing bag under your arm help?

redtop1 Sat 30-Aug-14 21:48:43

thanks for this post - exactly the same issue here with 5 month old - just too nosy at what's going on around him. Thanks to CharingcrossBun for the jockey position idea - will try it, but I fear he may think he's in for a game of 'horsey-horsey"!

redtop1 Sat 30-Aug-14 21:51:13

Oh, the only thing I have noticed is that baby definitely pulls off more to look around if I'm actually talking and he hears my voice. So while I'm feeding in public, I try to keep quiet!

Chocolateteabag Sun 31-Aug-14 08:27:28

I used to take an inflatable neck pillow when out with Ds2 or make use of cushions or coats with a muslin over the top

However Ds2's habit of pulling away every 3-4 swigs to look around the room is the main reason I went to mixed feeding at 5 mo.

Scotmum83 Sun 31-Aug-14 09:59:24

This is what I use as a cover, it's great totally discreet. I felt a bit silly wearing it the first time but it completely covers you and you can see baby through the top.

MissCalamity Sun 31-Aug-14 15:04:24

I second the breast feeding cover scotmum83 suggested, I got one from Tk Maxx, same brand for a third of the price grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now